- SUNASS is the regulator for water sanitation services of Peru, responsible for ensuring water quality for users the delivery of sanitation services in the urban and rural setting, contributing to the population’s health and the environment preservation.
- As an independent regulator, SUNASS approves water tariffs and supervises the compliance of technical regulation including quality and proper access.
- SUNASS has started the work to implement a Regulatory Impact Analysis (RIA) system to ensure that all new or modified regulation brings the highest possible benefit for users.
- In its effort of implementing RIA, SUNASS has to ensure an agile coordination among its different technical directorates. By fostering coordination, SUNASS will be able to improve the quality of RIA by taking into account all cycles of regulation, including implementation and supervision.
- To increase accountability and transparency of decision-making, the OECD recommends SUNASS to include RIA in the public consultation process of regulation, and to introduce early-consultation.
For further information, please contact Alberto Morales and Manuel Gerardo Flores, Regulatory Policy Division, OECD.