EDUCATION & SKILLS ONLINE ASSESSMENT
The Online version of the Survey of Adult Skills (PIAAC)
A joint initiative of the OECD and the European Union
Education & Skills Online is an assessment tool designed to provide individual-level results that are linked to the OECD Survey of Adult Skills (PIAAC) measures of literacy, numeracy and problem solving in technology-rich environments. All results are comparable to the measures used in PIAAC and can be benchmarked against the national and international results available for the participating countries. In addition, the assessment contains non-cognitive measures of skill use, career interest, health and well-being, and behavioral competencies (only available from March 2018 to June 2020).
Who takes the test?
Education & Skills Online has been developed as an assessment relevant to youth and adults of all ages. Institutions, organisations or local governments can use the online tool to assess the skills of a particular population with the goal of providing training or for research purposes.
In what languages is the test available?
Education & Skills Online is available in the following country-specific language versions:
- English (Australia, Canada, Ireland and US)
- French (Canada)
- Russian (Estonia, Russian Federation)
- Spanish (Chile, Spain and US)
Further development will take place in additional languages.
Who are the potential users?
- Organisations providing adult literacy and numeracy training that wish to have information that can help diagnose the strengths and weaknesses of learners and evaluate the results of training against national and international benchmarks.
- Educational institutions such as universities, vocational education and training centers that can use Education & Skills Online as a diagnostic tool for incoming students to help determine their need for literacy/numeracy courses.
- Researchers who would like to have access to an assessment that is benchmarked to PIAAC results.
- Government organisations interested in assessing the learning needs of unemployed adults, at risk groups or economically disadvantaged adults.
- Public or private companies that want to use the results to help them identify the training needs related to literacy and numeracy for their workforce.
How is the test administered?
The test is available only in computer-based format and can be taken on any computer, including home computers, that is connected to the internet and meets the system requirements for the test. Test takers receive a code they must enter in order to start the test. Institutions, organisations or researchers may purchase access codes. Purchasers are responsible for providing the codes to the test takers.
Education & Skills Online is a joint initiative of the OECD, participating countries and the European Commission. The development of the assessment was possible thanks to the financial support of the European Commission.