15th International Economic Forum on Latin America and the Caribbean
Towards renewed partnerships for sustainable development
Tuesday, 6th June 2023
OECD Conference Centre, CC7
(Interpretation available in English / Spanish / French)
14:00 - 14:30 - Welcome coffee
14:30 – 15:30
High-level Policy dialogue: Building partnerships in a changing global context
Geopolitical tensions and uncertain global economic trends are casting shadows on development and environmental sustainability in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). Economic growth remains weak and social challenges significant. Poverty is higher than a decade ago and more than a half of the workforce is still in informal employment. The imperative of the green transition, which entails the transformation of production systems and the creation of new jobs, is an opportunity to move towards more sustainable and inclusive models. How can renewed partnerships help the region on its journey?
- Mathias Cormann, Secretary-General, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Ilan Goldfajn, President, Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
- Rémy Rioux, Chief Executive Officer, Agence française de développement (AFD)
- Jose W. Fernandez, Under Secretary for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment, United States
- Rodrigo Chaves-Robles, President of Costa Rica (video)
- Guillermo Lasso, President of Ecuador (video)
- Ralph Gonsalves, Prime Minister, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (video)
Introduction: Bathylle Missika, Head of Networks, Partnerships & Gender Division, OECD Development Centre
15:30 – 16:15
Session 1: What kind of investments does the region need to promote a green, just and digital transition?
The sustainability of the transition will depend on the promotion of new green sectors that create more and better jobs. How can governments work closer with the private sector and attract environmentally conscious investors? What are the advantages of focusing on strategic sectors such as the renewable energy, digital transformation and sustainable agriculture and livestock?
- Jorge Iván González, Minister of Planning, National Planning Department (DNP), Colombia
- Claudia Sanhueza Riveros, Under Secretary for International Economics Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chile
- Alejandro Cheyne, Rector, Universidad del Rosario
- José Juan Haro, Chief Wholesale and Public Affairs Officer, Telefonica
- Mareva Edel, Deputy CEO- Chief Executive Officer, Groupe Qair
Moderator: Ragnheiður Elín Árnadóttir, Director, OECD Development Centre
16:15 – 17:00
Session 2: What are the financial sources to face the challenges of the production transformation?
With little fiscal space at their disposal, LAC governments must improve their financial strategies to fund the transition to more sustainable production models. Could the ongoing drive to improve the mobilisation of private finance and reform the international financial architecture open opportunities to attract more quality investors? Is that agenda an opportunity to mobilise funds from sub-national, national and international development banks and to implement new innovative tools of sustainable finance?
- Juan Carlos Mora, CEO, Bancolombia
- Agustín Vitórica, Founder and Co-CEO, GAWA Capital
- Celina Padilla, CEO, Banco Hipotecario de El Salvador
- Renata Amaral, Secretary for International Affairs and Development, Ministry of Planning and Budget of Brazil
- Djalal Khimdjee, Deputy Chief Executive Officer, PROPARCO, group AFD
Moderator: Gema Sacristán, Chief Investment Officer, IDB Invest
17:00 – 17:30
Moderator: Braulio Moro, Journalist, Radio France Internationale
18:00 – Cocktail