The Ukraine Medical Rehabilitation Trust Fund provides support to patients, i.e. active and discharged Ukrainian servicemen and women and civilian personnel from the defence and security sector, to ensure they have rapid access to medical rehabilitation and longer-term medical services. It reinforces the medical rehabilitation system in Ukraine to ensure that it has the means to provide long-term sustainable services.
The Trust Fund involves short, medium and long-term activities:
- Medical rehabilitation services and assistive devices abroad, subsidising travel costs, accommodation, food, treatment, physical rehabilitation and provision of prostheses/ orthoses.
- Vocational rehabilitation services, designed to enable beneficiaries to prepare for application procedures, as employment is being considered essential to gain or regain independence.
- Sport rehabilitation services in partnership with the National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine. Beneficiaries consist of up to 50% former servicemen/women and 50% civilians or internally displaced persons from the Donbas area.
- Provision of appropriate equipment to five medical rehabilitation units in hospitals to improve the quality of services. The beneficiary hospitals are under the Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Social Policy and the National Guard.
- Provision of equipment and facilitation of technology transfer to two prostheses centres.
- Competencies development of professional staff to ensure quality and sustainability of medical services, including on-the-job training, mentoring, participation in conferences, train-the-trainer training, distance-learning, and the development and conduct of short-term courses to refresh and enhance skills and knowledge at managerial and expert level.