EU Central Asia Invest Networking Meeting 2017
Enhancing the Business Climate and Strengthening Business Intermediary Organisations in Central Asia
The EU Central Asia Invest Networking Meeting is a platform where the Central Asia Invest Networking programme’s stakeholders exchanged knowledge and shared experiences and approaches to strengthening the role played by business intermediary organisations (BIOs) in Central Asia. It gave participants a unique opportunity to explore common solutions to the challenges that BIOs and Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) face in the region.
The EU Central Asia Invest Networking Meeting took place on 25-26 October 2017 in Almaty, Kazakhstan, following OECD Eurasia Week 2017. The OECD supported the EU in organising this event.
With financial support from the
The Central Asia Invest Programme of the European Union
The Central Asia Invest Programme promotes private sector development in Central Asian countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan). It works towards reinforcing the role and the competencies of Central Asian BIOs and more broadly, it helps sustain business climate improvements in Central Asia through:
- Capacity building for BIOs, which contributes to strengthening the role and the capacity of Central Asian BIOs to provide legal, technical and economic advice, investment promotion and support for export or project management to enter new markets or expand existing ones.
- Policy dialogue, which helps sustain the improvements of the business climate for SMEs and promotes economic integration in Central Asia. This component is implemented in the framework of the OECD Eurasia Competitiveness Programme – Central Asia Initiative.
Central Asia Invest Programme projects are focused on various sectors and themes including tourism, handicraft and food-processing. These sectors correspond to high-potential sectors for the region:
- Networking Intermediaries & Competitive Enterprises, implemented by Sequa Gmbh Partner of German Business and CESVI (focus countries: Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan)
- Advanced Support Programme BIOs - Specialised and Integrated Services for Export-Oriented Food Processing SMEs, implemented by Hilfswerk International (focus countries: Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan)
- Strengthening Rural and Community Tourism BIOs for Inclusive Economic Development, implemented by the European Centre for Ecological and Agricultural Tourism International (ECEAT) (focus countries: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan)
- Strengthening Transport and Logistics BIOs, implemented by CEED (focus countries: Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan)
- Value Chain Competitiveness of Agro-Business and Food Processing SMEs through Sustainable Development and Eco-Innovation, implemented by Formaper (focus countries: Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan)
- Professional Housing Management, implemented by Initiative Wohnungswirtschaft Osteuropa (IWO) (focus countries: Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan)
- OECD Central Asia Investment and Competitiveness - Phase III (focus countries: Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan)
For more information about the EU Central Asia Invest Networking Meeting 2017 and its collaboration with the OECD, please contact:
Mr. Grégory Lecomte
Project Manager, OECD Eurasia Division