Beyond the crisis: a stronger, cleaner and fairer global economy through responsible business conduct
In preparation for the November 2009 MENA-OECD Business Forum and MENA-OECD Ministerial Conference, the MENA-OECD Business Council held its first meeting on 1 October 2009 at the OECD Paris headquarters.
The MENA-OECD Business Council provides its members with an opportunity to dialogue with policy makers on issues related to improving the business climate, and offer a unique opportunity for leaders to network with peers.
Key activities of the Business Council are to:
- provide policy makers with recommendations on reform priorities to improve MENA and OECD business climates
- strengthen the public-private dialogue through high-profile debates between business and government leaders
- generate new business opportunities and foster sector-specific contacts between the regions through regular contact and dialogue between high-level decision-makers
- foster exchange and learning in areas such as leveraging technology for business, competitive clusters, or responsible business conduct
The October meeting brought together
- high-level business leaders from both MENA and OECD countries;
- representatives from business associations such as the Arab Investors’ Union, the Union of Arab Banks, the MENA-OECD Enterprise Financing Network, the Business and Industry Advisory Committee to the OECD (BIAC), and Business Councils in MENA countries
- experts from the OECD
The preparatory meeting of the MENA-OECD Business Council on 1 October 2009 at the OECD Paris headquarters laid the foundation for the Business Council launch that coincides with the MENA-OECD Business Forum held in conjunction with the MENA-OECD Ministerial Conference in November 2009. It also marks one of several efforts to garner private sector support for a strong business presence at the Ministerial events in November.
- Background paper: "BIAC Guide to the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises" [English] (Business and Industry Advisory Committee to the OECD -- BIAC, 28 September 2009)
- Tackling the financial and economic crisis: the OECD's strategic response [English l French]
- The Enterprise Financing Network: the MENA-OECD Investment Programme's engagement with the private sector [English] (28 September 2009)