Economic Resilience in Fragile Situations
The scale and nature of conflicts in MENA countries during the past decade makes resilience a regional priority. Promoting resilience requires addressing short-term issues while providing long-term solutions that can minimise the impact of future shocks.
Conflict and fragility can exacerbate already volatile conditions through dramatic falls in foreign direct investment, trade and economic growth, creating a vicious cycle. Pre-existing structural challenges amplify the impact of crisis. Human loss, displacement and unemployment negatively affect livelihood prospects. Private sector development can contribute to economic resilience by facilitating financial flows, participating in reconstruction projects, and driving job creation and capital investment.
About the MENA-OECD Economic Resilience Task Force
The MENA-OECD Economic Resilience Task Force was launched in Beirut on May 2017 and is co-chaired by Lebanon, Germany and the Islamic Development Bank. The Task Force aims to align the work of the MENA-OECD Competitiveness Programme with the needs of countries most affected by conflict and fragility in the region.
The Economic Resilience Task Force's main objectives are to:
- Organise regional events to bring together key stakeholders and promote peer learning and policy dialogue in relation to the economic policies needed in fragile and conflict affected states.
- Promote analytical work to advance the discussion and identify lessons learned that can be shared.
- Provide support to governments at the national level adapting to local needs.
The Geography of Conflict in North and West Africa (2020)
States of Fragility (2020)
SMEs in Libya’s Reconstruction: Preparing for a Post-Conflict Economy (Arabic version) (2016)
Promoting Investment in a Fragile Context: The OECD Iraq Project (2016)
- SME Development Strategy in Libya
- Building Consensus for Economic and Social Reform in Lebanon
- Improving the Business and Investment Climate in Iraq (2013-16)
- OECD Iraq project (2007-13)
- OECD Development Co-operation Conflict, Fragility and Resilience
- OECD States of Fragility Platform
MENA-OECD Economic Resilience Task Force Regional Meeting, Berlin, Germany, 2-3 December 2019
MENA-OECD Economic Resilience Task Force Regional Meeting, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, 4-5 December 2018
For further information, please contact: [email protected]