Business Integrity in the Middle East and North Africa
Annual meeting of the MENA-OECD Business Integrity Network (MOBIN)
In the MENA region, levels of corruption remain to be perceived as very high, and there is an increasing demand for greater integrity and transparency. A holistic, proactive approach is needed from all parties in order to rebuild trust: non-governmental actors, such as NGOs, civil society, the media, business associations and trade unions play a crucial role in raising awareness and mobilising public support in the fight against corruption. This year the MOBIN annual meeting will bring together public and private sector experts/representatives to discuss how best to address key issues such as compliance, whistleblower protection mechanisms, and the role of the media and civil society in the fight against corruption.
This work is carried out with the support of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA).
Corruption is a world-wide challenge with complex social, political and economic dimensions. In the Middle East and North-Africa (MENA), a number of countries have made the fight against corruption a priority by passing laws and adopting strategies to combat corruption. However, progress in eliminating this problem has been limited and corruption still stands as a major obstacle for doing business in the region.
Integrity is central to the development of competitive and open economies in which growth and opportunities are sustainably and equitably distributed. Strengthening business integrity and fighting corruption will be essential for establishing investors’ confidence and leveling the playing field for doing business.
About MENA-OECD Business Integrity Network (MOBIN)
The MOBIN is a unique regional platform working to promote business integrity in the region. It brings together regional businesses and public anti-corruption officials to build awareness about the need to fight corruption and develop a culture of integrity by:
- Organising meetings and seminars where both private- and public-sector representatives can meet with OECD experts and exchange experiences on how to combat bribery and corruption, and foster integrity.
- Inviting key players to participate in important OECD anti-corruption and integrity events like the OECD Global Network of Law Enforcement Practitioners against Transactional Bribery and the annual OECD Anti-Corruption and Integrity Forum.
- Sharing and promoting OECD tools and standards.
- Applying the OECD working methods of evidence-based policy dialogue, peer reviews, and mutual learning, in its activities.
Morocco: Strengthening Integrity in the Energy,Transportation and Health Sectors (2018) English | French | Arabic
Diagnostic d'intégrité au Maroc : Mettre en œuvre des politiques d'intégrité pour renforcer la confiance (2018)
Practices to Strengthen Business Integrity in the MENA Region (2012) Arabic
Compétitivité et développement du secteur privé: Maroc 2010, Chapter on Anti-Corruption
Egypt Business Climate Development Strategy, Chapter on Anti-Corruption (2009)
- Regional training courses: Strengthening integrity in the public and private sector
Since 2013, he MENA-OECD Competitiveness Programme and the IMF Middle East Centre for Economics and Finance (CEF) in Kuwait City organise annual week-long capacity-building workshops to share and discuss instruments, methodologies and good practices in support of business integrity.
- Building Consensus for Economic and Social Reform in Lebanon
- MENA-OECD Business Advisory Board (BAB)
- OECD Convention on Combating Bribery of Foreign Officials in International Business Transactions
- OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises
- OECD Principles on Corporate Governance
- OECD Guidelines on Corporate Governance of State-Owned Enterprises
- OECD CleanGovBiz Initiative
Boosting the detection and reporting of corruption in the MENA region: what is at stake?, 6-9 January 2020, Kuwait
Building integrity in MENA through public-private dialogue: State of play and moving forward, 18-19 March 2019, Paris
Public and Private Sector Alliances in the Fight Against Corruption in GCC and MENA Countries, 7-10 January 2019, Kuwait
Strengthening Business Integrity in Morocco: International Standards and Collective Actions, 6 December 2018, Rabat
Progress in fighting corruption and bolstering integrity in Morocco, OECD Days, 11 July 2018, Rabat
Institutionalising Public-Private Dialogue to Fight against Corruption in the MENA Region, 29 March 2018, Paris
Strengthening integrity in business - Better detect and fight corruption, Training Course, 8-11 January 2018, Kuwait
Investigating and Prosecuting Corruption in the MENA Region, Training Course, 3-5 January 2017, Kuwait
Business Associations and the Fight against Corruption in the Middle East and North Africa, 29 March 2017, Paris
Enhancing Integrity for Business Development in the Middle East and North Africa,18 April 2016, Paris
Strengthening Integrity in the Public and Private Sectors in the MENA Region: Reforming and enforcing anti-corruption legislation, Training Course, 23-26 November 2015, Kuwait
OECD Integrity Week 2014,17-21 March 2014, Paris
Strengthening Integrity in the Public and Private Sector in the MENA Region: Reforming and enforcing anti-corruption legislation, Training Course, 7-10 April 2014, Kuwait
For further information, please contact: MENA.Competitiveness@oecd.org