The Working Party on Gender Mainstreaming and Governance (GMG) has been created by the OECD Public Governance Committee. It formalises the former OECD Roundtable on Better Governance for Gender Equality.
GMG is the decision-making body within the OECD that brings together senior officials from gender equality institutions across OECD member and partner countries. It aims to strengthen the capacity of governments at large and gender institutions, in particular, to design and deliver effective strategies for closing gender gaps, building on the OECD analysis, data, recommendations, policy tools and implementation support. GMG serves as a collaborative forum to find common solutions to close the gender implementation gap through innovative measures and understanding what works. It also provides a platform for ongoing cooperation and discussion for implementing gender policies through government tools, building on the governance and implementation expertise of the OECD Public Governance Committee.
The Working Party last met on 11 March 2021 via Remote Conferencing Tool, 3rd session of the Working Party on Gender Mainstreaming and Governance.
- carry out research on the full range of issues related to gender equality in public life, including gender equality governance, mainstreaming and access to public decision-making, including policy development tools or measures;
- conduct country reviews of gender equality in public life, including gender governance, implementation and mainstreaming policies in countries, and produce analytical reports based on their results;
- map and analyse policies and practices and develop common methodologies, indicators and metrics to track progress on and measure impacts of initiatives on promoting gender equality in public life, including gender mainstreaming and gender-sensitive use of government tools;
- support gender mainstreaming in a wide range of policy areas through the development and exchange of the expertise and tools in gender mainstreaming;
- disseminate information and findings about gender equality in public life, gender mainstreaming and gender-sensitive governance, as well as other relevant information about gender equality policies.
3rd session of the Working Party on Gender Mainstreaming and Governance, virtual, 10-11 March, 2021
Extra-ordinary meeting of the Working Party on Gender Mainstreaming and Governance, virtual, 29 April, 2020
Second OECD Roundtable on Better Governance for Gender Equality, 18-20 June, 2018
First OECD Roundtable on Better Governance for Gender Equality, Reykjavík, Iceland, 17-18 May, 2017