Centre for Educational Research and Innovation - CERI
CERI - Second closed expert meeting on Open Educational Resources
A second closed expert meeting was held in Barcelona on the 26-27th of October, 2006
Main topics for discussion:
1. MOTIVATIONS, BENEFITS AND BARRIERS FOR institutions PRODUCING OPEN EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES
- Financial incentives/barriers for institutions: what is known about the scale of economic benefits and costs, and how can these be measured?
- Pedagogical incentives and barriers: do they exist, and what do they look like?
- Other incentives for institutions, e.g. outreach to disadvantage groups; what examples are there of this?
- Other barriers than financial: technical, lack of knowledge, lack of interest from staff, etc.?
2. USABILITY, QUALITY AND VALIDATION ISSUES REGARDING THE USE OF OER
- Validation of quality, relevance and usability from the point of view of providers and users.
- Quality management processes.
3. POLICY IMPLICATIONS OF OER
- Implications and issues of the OER movement for policy makers on regional and national level.
Download the meeting notes
Peter Bateman: The AVU Open Educational Resources partnership for Africa [PDF 172 kB]
Øystein Johannessen: Open Educational Resources: Policy Implications [PDF 323 kB]
Knud Erik Hilding-Hamann & Sally M Johnstone: Discussion on Open Educational Resources [PDF 214 kB]
Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT), Putting Educational Innovations into Practice [PDF 367 kB]
Shigeru Miyagawa, Unlocking knowledge: empowering minds [PDF 361 kB]
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Catherine M. Casserly,and Marshall S. Smith: Open Educational Resources: Revolutionize Theories of Learning [PDF 1,830 kB]
Open eLearning Content Observatory Services (OLCOS): Open Educational practices and resources [PDF 3,908 kB]
Robert Schuwer: OpenER-project at the Open University Netherlands: Bridging informal and formal learning [PDF 160 kB]
Peter Bateman: The AVU - Open Educational Resources (OER): Architecture for Higher Education in Africa [241 kB]
Robert Schuwer: The OER-project at the Open University of the Netherlands: Towards open content for self-learners [65 kB]
Patrick McAndrew: Motivations for OpenLearn: the Open University’s: Open Content Initiative [117 kB