13th Meeting of the Asia Network on Corporate Governance of State-Owned Enterprises
~ Video Conferences ~
Day 1: Tuesday, 22 September 2020
Day 2: Thursday, 8 October 2020
Day 3: Wednesday, 4 November 2020
The 13th meeting of the Asia Network on Corporate Governance of State-owned enterprises will take place in virtual format, with support from the Korea Institute of Public Finance and Asian Development Bank. Through the process of knowledge sharing, the Network’s three video conferences, from September until November, will provide a unique platform for policy makers and experts from Asia and other parts of the world to discuss important steps toward identifying priorities for SOEs reform and implementation of the aspirational standards of SOE governance established by the OECD Guidelines on Corporate Governance of State-Owned Enterprises (SOE Guidelines).
The discussion will benefit from presentations by representatives of governments, state ownership entities, individual SOEs, international organisations, corporate practitioners and relevant experts from both Asia and other parts of the world. They are invited to consider experiences on SOE governance reforms from a range of perspectives.
- The first video conference on 22 September will stocktake the recent developments of SOE reform related to ownership practices and corporate governance in select participant countries relative to the SOE Guidelines and discuss lessons for developing good practices towards performance evaluation and monitoring within the SOE sectors.
- The second video conference on 8 October will focus on policy measures in response to the COVID-19 and their impact on national practices for state ownership as well as national approaches for accounting for public policy objectives of SOEs and their implications for competitive neutrality.
- The third video conference on 4 November will serve as a platform for exchange of information to compare national experiences with listing SOEs in stock markets and its impact on overall performance and governance of SOEs. The Meeting will be concluded by a consultation session on the development of the OECD SOE Anti-Corruption and Integrity Implementation Guide as a follow-up work for the recently launched OECD Guidelines on Anti-corruption and Integrity in State-owned enterprises.
Participation is by invitation only. For further information, contact Chung-a Park (Chung-a.Park@oecd.org), Henrique Sorita Menezes (Henrique.Soritamenezes@oecd.org)
About the OECD-Asia Network on Corporate Governance of State-Owned Enterprises
Better corporate governance of state-owned enterprises is key for economic growth and competitiveness in Asia.
In many Asian economies, state-owned enterprises (SOEs) are still significant economic players. Ensuring they operate efficiently, transparently and on equal footing with private companies is crucial for economic growth and competitiveness.
The OECD-Asia Network on Corporate Governance of State-Owned Enterprises provides a forum for government representatives and relevant non-governmental stakeholders from 16 economies in Asia to share experiences, identify good practices and develop recommendations for reform to improve state ownership practices and strengthen the corporate governance of state-owned enterprises SOEs. It serves to:
- Raise awareness of the importance of sound corporate governance of SOEs and related challenges among relevant constituencies
- Influence policymaking by providing a forum in which policy makers, practitioners and experts can share knowledge and experience
- Support viable and effective reforms in the area of SOE corporate governance, by discussing and analysing policy options, developing relevant recommendations and agreeing on reform priorities
The Asia SOE Network was first established in 2006 and then relaunched in 2015 with the support of the government of Korea. As before, the new phase of the Network seeks to identify common challenges related to state-owned enterprise ownership and governance, to share good practices and to develop recommendations for effective reform. The Network is also used to issue topical studies on SOE governance and reform comparing the practices of participating countries based on discussions at Network meetings.
12th meeting, Manila, Philippines, 4-5 September 2019, Agenda |
Summary Record | Speaker Biographies
11th meeting, Hyderabad, India, 6-7 September 2018, Agenda| Summary Record | Speaker Biographies
10th meeting, Kuala Lumpur, 19-20 September 2017
9th meeting, Seoul, 6-7 December 2016
8th meeting, Hanoi, 16-17 November 2015
7th meeting, Bandung, 3-4 July 2012
6th meeting, Seoul, 17-18 May 2011
5th meeting, Kuala Lumpur, 24-25 May 2010
4th meeting, Bangkok, 20-21 May 2009
3rd meeting, New Delhi, 25-26 June 2008
2nd meeting, Cebu, 19-20 April 2007
1st meeting, Singapore, 15-16 May 2006
DOCUMENTS AND LINKS
Transparency frameworks for state-owned enterprises in Asia (2020)
Managing Risk in the State-Owned Enterprise Sector in Asia
Disclosure and transparency in the state-owned enterprise sector in Asia: Stocktaking of national practices
SOEs in Asia: National practices for performance evaluation and management
Policy brief on corporate governance of SOEs in Asia
OECD Guidelines on Corporate Governance of SOEs
State-owned enterprises in the development process
Boards of directors of SOEs: An overview of national practices
Competitive neutrality: Maintaining a level playing field between public and private business
Accountability and transparency: A guide for state ownership
Asian Roundtable on Corporate Governance
OECD work on state-owned enterprises in the marketplace