The objective for the Danish programme for maritime security in the Gulf of Guinea is to enhance national and regional capacity to pursue maritime governance and security in the Gulf of Guinea. This will be achieved through reinforced cooperation with the long term purpose of strengthening trade, investment and sustainable development in the region. The Danish support through the EU will be earmarked to:
- capacity development of civilian staff, functions and structures of Yaoundé structure’s lower levels;
- facilitate information-sharing among states relevant to maritime governance in order to prevent, detect, and suppress maritime security threats including piracy and armed robbery at sea;
- capacity development provided to ensure implementation of international conventions;
- revision of legislation on pursuit and prosecution of crimes at sea.
As for the support through the IMO, the Danish support will be earmarked to:
- capacity development to ensure effective self-auditing of security in ports;
- implementing updated port facility security plans;
- establishing port security committees;
- development of port security assessment methodology.