The media industry is very broad and includes several services. The media sector incorporates both the production of content, such as news, entertainment, education and research, as well as its distribution through the means of mass communication. Mass media includes the press, television and radio broadcasting, film producing, video streaming, video games, online publishing, social media and podcasting, among others.
As it has been witnessed, the media industry is constantly evolving, driven recently by the digital economy, new and disruptive digitization technologies, the emergence of global and local market participants, and new distribution channels, propelled by technological convergence or evolution, all of which have had impacts in media value chain dynamics.
This session focused on the assessment of media mergers considering the new configuration of the media industry driven by the technological evolution and changes in consumer behaviour, as well as the growing importance of online services and large tech companies. In particular, the session considered the role played by the digital platforms and the OTT content distributors in the media industry, and their competition implications.
All related documentation are available on this page.
Call for contributions
Background Note by Mexico
Contributions from participants
Martin Peitz, Professor of Economics, at the University of Mannheim
Feng Zhu, Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School, Harvard University Bio
Diana Moss, President, American Antitrust Institute
Aleksandra Boutin, Founding Partner, Positive Competition Bio
Suggested bibliography (Full bibliography available in the call for contributions)
- Cases in the media sector, European Commission, 2022
- Competition issues concerning news media and digital platforms, OECD Best Practice Roundtables, 2021
- Platform mergers and antitrust, Industrial and Corporate Change, Volume 30, Issue 5, October 2021, Pages 1307–1336 by Geoffrey, P., G. Petropoulos, M. Van Alstyne, 2021
- Mergers and Acquisitions in Digital Markets, Congressional Research Service, 2021
- EU Competition Law and the Digital Economy: Protecting Free and Fair Competition in an Age of Technological (R)evolution, XXIX FIDE Congress in The Hague in 2020. International Federation of European Law, 2020
- Vertical Mergers in the Technology, Media and Telecom Sector, OECD Best Pratice Rountables, 2019
- The effects of zero rating, OECD Digital Economy Papers No. 285
- Quality considerations in digital zero-price markets, OECD Best Practice Roundtables, 2018
- Media Mergers, OECD Best Pratice Roundtables, 2003
Competition Law and Policy in Latin America
OECD Competition Policy Roundtables