Third Meeting of the Roundtable on Financing Water
- By invitation only
- Logistical note
The 3rd meeting of the Roundtable focused on the three main pillars of analytical work:
- Mapping financing flows includes characterising investment needs and financing capacities at country level. A pilot project is currently ongoing, covering 28 European countries.
- Blended finance for water investments focuses on developing good practice in the use of development finance to mobilise additional sources of finance, in particular domestic commercial sources, for water-related investments.
- Strategic investment pathways focuses on designing investments in a way that maximises net benefits in terms of water security and sustainable growth now and in the future.
The meeting provided an opportunity for participants to share recent developments related to financing water.
The meeting was held back to back with the 5th OECD Forum on Green Finance and Investment (13-14 November 2018).
Aim of The Roundtable on Financing Water
The Roundtable on Financing Water is a global public-private platform established by the OECD, the World Water Council and the Netherlands. It draws upon political leadership and technical expertise, with the ambition of facilitating increased financing of investments that contribute to water security and sustainable growth.
The Roundtable engages a diversity of actors – governments and regulators in developed, emerging and developing economies, private financiers (e.g. institutional investors, commercial banks, asset managers, impact investors), development financing institutions, bi-lateral donors, international organisations, academia and civil society organisations – focused on finding novel ideas and solutions.
Presentations from the scene setting session
- Keynote: Mr. Peter Damgaard Jensen, CEO, PKA, “Institutional investors’ engagement on water”
- Keynote: Dr. Christopher Kaminker, Senior Advisor, SEB, “Update on water finance – debt capital markets”
- SEB (Nov 2018) The Green Bond
- Session 2: EC and OECD, "Water investment needs and financing capacities in EU countries"
- Session 1. OECD (2018) Blended finance for water-related investments
- Session 1. OECD-GIZ Conference on "Closing the financing gap for water in line with SDG ambitions: the role of blended finance" Conference Outcomes
- Session 2. OECD (2018) Mapping financing flows: Estimating investments needs and financing capacities for water supply, sanitation and flood protection in EU member countries – Consultation draft
- Session 3. OECD (2018) Developing robust infrastructure project pipelines - a water infrastructure example
- Session 3. Vörösmarty et al (2018) Scientifically assess impacts of sustainable investments