OECD at 8th World Water Forum
18-23 March 2018 Brasilia, Brazil
The OECD actively participated in the 8th World Water Forum on the theme “Sharing Water” through a series of events, the launch of a new report and by taking part in a number of workshops and seminars throughout the forum.
The schedule below includes:
- Main OECD events
- OECD-led events on governance
- Other OECD speaking events
Main OECD events
- Wednesday 21 March - OECD Secretary-General's Hassan II Great World Water Prize Ceremony and launch of OECD Report Implementing the OECD Principles on Water Governance (12:30-14h00, Moroccan Pavillion)
The OECD Secretary-General, Angel Gurría, received the Hassan II Great World Water Prize awarded by the Government of Morocco and the World Water Council, in recognition of his leadership, and the achievements of the Organisation, in the water area. The Secretary-General also launched the OECD report “Implementing the OECD Principles on Water Governance: Indicator Framework and Evolving Practices”. Three years after the adoption of the OECD Principles on Water Governance, this report provides a water governance indicator framework and a set of evolving practices for bench-learning, building on lessons learned from different countries and contexts.
OECD-led events on governance
Tuesday 20 March
- Session 9.a.3: The New Policy Agenda for IWRM (11:00-12:30, Room 28)
This session built on conclusions about revitalisation of IWRM practice, to raise questions of how policy and investment frameworks for IWRM need to change to increase the scale and speed of results from IWRM.
Wednesday 21 March
- Session 9.c.1: How to Enhance Multi-Level Water Governance? (14:30-16:00, Room 28)
This Session explored examples and experiences at different scales in different contexts on how to build better multilevel governance for improved water management.
- Session 9.c.2: How is Water Governance in Your Country? Indicators to Assess Institutional Performance (16:30-18:00, Room 28)
This session discussed cutting edge indicators and evaluation frameworks on water governance that can help governments and stakeholders measure institutional performance properly and collectively.
Thursday 22 March
- Session 9.c.3: What's Your Water Governance Story? Identifying and scaling-up best practice across cities, basins and countries (11:00-12:30, Room 28)
This session discussed concrete water governance stories that can inspire decision makers and stakeholders. Participants were invited to discuss success factors and pitfalls to avoid from their experience and to provide tips on how to upscale peer-learning.
Other OECD speaking events
Sunday 18 March
- Water Business Day (9:30- 18:30, Armando Monteiro Neto Building, Asa North Q1 Brasília)
Monday 19 March
- High Level Panel on Science-Policy dialogue: key to solve global water challenges and support decision making (14:00- 15:30, Room 27)
- Opening Session of the Thematic Process (14:30-16:00, Room 15)
- Session 4.a.1: Design for water-wise cities (16:30-18:00, Room 27)
- Session 1.a.1: Uncertainty, vulnerabilities and resilience (16:30-18:00, Room 8)
Tuesday 20 March
- High-Level Plenary: Panel 2 Water Justice and Climate Change within the Conference of Judges and Prosecutors of the Political Process (9:00 – 10:30, Room 35)
- Water governance in Europe: how to add value block by block? (9:00-10:30, Room 12)
- Session 4.a.3: Water Governance and communication in Cities (11:00-12:30, Room 27)
- UCLG: Fostering strong local governance on water (11:00-12:30, Room 20)
- Session 6.a.3: Sustainable market-based mechanisms and national-regional economics and financing (11:00-12:30, Room 25)
- Regional process: Enhancing Africa's Capacity for Financing water security in Africa (11:00-12:30, Room 10)
- OECD Policy Dialogues in Brazil and “Water Charges in Brazil – the Ways Forward” (13:00-14:00, Brazilian Pavilion)
- Session 5.b.2: Implementing natural and engineered solutions – the need for innovative financing (16:30 -18:00, Room 29)
- Session 6.b.2: Optimising existing financial resources to enhance Water Services Sustainability (16:30 -18:00, Room 25)
- Session 7.b.2: Implementation of Inclusive Policies with the Participation of All Stakeholders (16:30-18:00, Room 26)
Wednesday 21 March
- Session 5.d.1: Understanding Water Quality from Ridge to Reef (9:00-10:30, Room 25)
- Regional process: Financing the water sector in Europe: how to bank it and blend it? (09:00-10:30, Room 10)
- Session 4.b.3: Promoting circular economy by building an enabling environment (11:00-12:00, Room 27)
- Session 5.c.1: Urban land and water use: can natural systems thrive in unnatural environments? (11:00-12:30, Room 29)
- Regional process: Finance for Sustainable Development in the Mediterranean (11:00-12:30, Room 7)
- Special session: Development finance to reach the water SDG 6 - perspectives from International Development Banks (11:00-12:30, Room 12)
- Session 6.c.1: Financing innovation for water technology and business (14:30-16:00, Room 25)
- Session 3.c.3: Water allocation: demand management and water availability (14:30-16:00, Room 22)
- Water in Landscapes for Inclusive Green Growth (15:00-16:00, IUCN Nature Based Solutions pavilion)
- Special Session: From the 7th to the 8th World Water Forum: Three years of Implementation Roadmaps (16:30-18:00, Room 33)
Thursday 22 March
- World Water Day (09:00-10:30, Planalto Room 33)
- Side Event Water and Jobs, Water Youth Network (09:00 - 11:00, Room 42)
- WGG-Water Security Special Session: Green Transition for Enhancing Water Security for All (14:00-15:30, Korean Pavilion)
- Conference on Public Private Partnership in the water sector (15:30-17:00, Morocco Pavilion)
- Closing Session on governance (16:30-18:00, Room 29)
This session took stock of the key outcomes from the nine sessions related to water governance at the Forum. It was forward looking and identified actions required in the short to long-term and who can do what on the road to the 9th World Water Forum.
Engage with us
- Join the conversation on Twitter: @OECD_ENV | #OECDwater | #WorldWaterForum8 | #SharingWater | #WorldWaterDay | #CompartilhandoÁgua
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To receive our latest Environment news, publications and events, sign up to MyOECD (choose "Environment" as an area of interest and tick "Environment News" under Newsletters).