Effective agricultural knowledge and innovation systems ensure that the global food system provides adequate supplies of high quality food and non-food agricultural products, in a sustainable way . OECD work on innovation systems in food and agriculture explores the relationships between innovation, productivity and sustainability, and examines the respective roles for the government and the private sector in strengthening agricultural innovation systems and facilitating adoption at the farm and agri-food firm level.
As part of this work, a framework has been developed to review the impacts of a wide range of policies on the creation and adoption of innovations needed to improve productivity growth and sustainable use of natural resources, leading to concrete recommendations for each policy area. This framework is being applied to an increasing number of pilot countries and will be regularly revised to reflect new evidence and experience with implementation of these country reviews of “Innovation for agricultural productivity and sustainability”.
In parallel, quantitative analysis is being conducted to improve the evidence base for policy recommendations within the framework. Work with farm-level data aims to analyse the economic, policy and structural determinants of sustainable productivity growth, starting with the dairy sector.
- Innovation, Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability in Sweden (OECD, 2018)
- Innovation, Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability in Estonia (OECD, 2018)
- Innovation, Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability in the United States (OECD, 2016)
- Innovation, Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability in Turkey (OECD, 2016)
- Innovation, Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability in the Netherlands (OECD, 2015)
- Innovation, Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability in Australia (OECD, 2015)
- Innovation, Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability in Brazil (OECD, 2015)
- Innovation, Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability in Canada (OECD, 2015)
- Agricultural Innovation Systems: A Framework for Analysing the Role of the Government (OECD, 2013)
- Improving Agricultural Knowledge and Innovation Systems (OECD, 2012)
- Fostering Productivity and Competitiveness in Agriculture (OECD, 2011)
- Evaluating dynamics, sources and drivers of productivity growth at the farm level
This report measures and evaluates total factor productivity (TFP) of crop farms in the European Union (EU) in the period after the implementation of a series of important reforms of the EU Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). The analysis covers six EU Member states: the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Poland and the United Kingdom. The data used in the analysis are based on the Farm Accountancy Data Network (FADN) data provided by the European Commission.
(OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers No. 106)
- Agricultural research impact assessment: Issues, methods and challenges
The Research Impact Assessment (RIA) is expected to increase the efficiency with which public funds are used, and to improve more broadly the functioning of the research and innovation system and its contribution to address a wide range of socio-economic and environmental issues
(OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers No. 98)
- Dynamics of dairy farm productivity growth: Cross-country comparison
This report compares the dynamics of productivity growth in the last decade in the dairy farm sector of three EU Member States: Estonia, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom (England and Wales). The evolution of the dairy farm sector in these countries is characterised by a decline in the number of dairy farms and an increase in the average herd size per farm. Policy factors have a strong impact on productivity growth at the farm (OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers No. 87).
Public-Private Partnerships for Agricultural Innovation: Lessons From Recent Experiences
This report discusses challenges and opportunities for Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) for agricultural innovation in the context of efforts to improve the functioning of agricultural innovation systems by leveraging public funds and improving responses to sectors' needs. It includes a review of experiences on the design and implementation of successful PPPs and government actions to facilitate their development in selected countries. It concludes with policy considerations for enabling successful PPPs in agricultural innovation (OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers No.92)
- Cross Country Analysis of Farm Economic Performance
This report analyses the farm performance data contributed through the OECD Network for Farm-level Analysis. It first compares the distribution of four economic performance indicators across nine participating countries or regions for selected farm types (output and input ratio, and net operating income per unit of labour, land and net worth). (OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Working Paper No. 60)
- The Benefits from Agricultural Research and Development, Innovation and Productivity Growth
The social rate of return to investments in agricultural R&D has been generally high, according to this review of the literature on the role of agricultural research and development in fostering innovation and productivity in agriculture.
(OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Working Paper No. 31)
- Competitiveness, Productivity and Efficiency in the Agricultural and Agri-Food Sectors
This report reviews the literature on competitiveness, productivity and efficiency in the agricultural and agri-food sectors. It clarifies concepts and terminology used in this area, and provides a critical assessment of approaches and indicators used in the literature to measure competitiveness, productivity and efficiency at sectoral and farm levels.
(OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Working Paper No. 30)
Conferences and events
Related areas of work