Symposium: Integration of Economics, Migration & Security in the Sahara-Sahel
OECD, Boulogne-Billancourt, 29 September 2017
The Sahel is today at the heart of African and global concerns. The growing urgency and complexity of the situation require now, more than ever before, the mobilisation of governments, regional organisations, the international community, civil society and researchers.
In contribution to this effort, the Sahel and West Africa Club (SWAC/OECD) aims to facilitate dialogue between researchers and policy makers. It is in this spirit that SWAC hosted this symposium built around two studies financed and co-ordinated by the Higher Council for Strategic Training and Research (CSFRS) of the Ecole militaire (France):
- Prospective study of Sahelian Realities 2030 proposes different scenarios on what the Sahel could be by 2030, based on economic, social, political and security criteria (Thierry Hommel Conseil) summary | full report (french)
- Bringing the desert together: How to advance Sahelo-Maghreb integration proposes to address the stabilisation and development of the Sahara-Sahel through an integrated and common approach to further connect Sahel and Maghreb countries (European Council on Foreign Relations) report
Some 50 representatives from the region, international partners, international organisations and the press were present to debate this innovative work.
Agenda, opening statements, presentations & photos:
- Opening statement: François-Xavier de Donnea, SWAC President (french)
- Opening statement: Olivier Caron, Director General, CSFRS (french)
- Some lessons from the debate, Laurent Bossard, SWAC Secretariat Director
- Atlas of the Sahara-Sahel: Geography, Economics and Security
- Wars and Conflicts in the Sahara-Sahel
- Agricultural market activity and Boko Haram attacks in northeastern Nigeria
- The wave of jihadist insurgency in West Africa
- Blog: The blurred boundaries of political violence in the Sahel-Sahara
- Blog: Why have they chopped Africa in two?
- Interview with Jean-Pierre Marcelli, French Development Agency on the Sahel, Action Plan for renewed commitment, 2015-2020 (french)
- SWAC Symposium on the Security-Development Nexus