Industry and globalisation
81st Session of the Steel Committee, Paris, 8 September 2016
World economic outlook and steel market developments
World economic outlook
Presentation by the Secretariat of the Economics Department on the world economic situation and the latest OECD forecasts for the global economy.
Global steel market situation
- Presentation by the Secretariat on selected steel market issues.
- Presentation by the World Steel Association on the steel demand outlook.
- Regional developments:
- Turkish Steel Producers Associations
- Russian Steel Consortium
Steel and raw materials: policies for open markets and trade
- Presentation by the Secretariat on the latest developments in trade and trade policies in the steel industry.
- Presentation by the Secretariat on steelmaking raw materials export restrictions and the impacts of restrictive raw material export policies on the health of the steel and mining sectors.
- Presentation of a new raw materials data visualisation platform by the Secretariat of the Trade and Agriculture Directorate.
- Presentation of OECD work on responsible mineral supply chains by the Secretariat of the Directorate for Financial and Enterprise Affairs.
Steelmaking capacity developments
Presentation by the Secretariat on the current situation concerning global capacity developments, in light of ongoing investments and closures in the steel industry. The Committee also discussed ways in which the monitoring of capacity information could be improved.
Update on OECD work related to structural adjustment
- Presentation of preliminary results of new work being undertaken in the Directorate for Science, Technology and Innovation on the effects of regulations which differ by plant vintage on exit.
- Presentation by the Secretariat of the Economics Department on the OECD analysis to identify the policies relevant for firm exit and the channels through which they shape aggregate productivity growth.
Also AvailableEgalement disponible(s)