In 2006, the OECD launched the OECD Space Forum in co-operation with the space community. The Forum aims to assist governments, space-related agencies and the private sector to better identify the statistical contours of the growing space sector worldwide, while investigating the space infrastructure’s economic significance and potential impacts for the larger economy. For more information, download the OECD Space Forum factsheet.
Space and the economy
The OECD is examining the contributions of space activities in the global economy. To learn more, read the brochure on the Space Forum’s flagship publication The Space Economy at a Glance. Read more. The OECD Space Forum will hold a symposium at OECD Headquarters in Paris on 23 October 2014 to highlight on-going OECD work on the economic dimensions of space research and development. The new report “The Space Economy at a Glance 2014” will be launched during the event.
News and events
- An OECD workshop on the impacts of national investments in the space sector will take place on 13 June 2014, at the OECD.
- The OECD Space Forum contributed to the “Vision 2030” workshop organised by the European Space Agency on ESA’s future role in Europe, at its headquarters in Paris on 20 March 2014.
- The IAF Space Economy Technical Committee met in Paris on 19 March, to select papers for the annual dedicated economic session at the International Astronautical Congress, to be held in Toronto in early October 2014. Twelve papers have been selected for this session entitled: “The space economy: what are the socio-economic impacts?”.
- An OECD workshop on global value chains in the space sector took place in Washington DC, on 14 March 2014, co-organised with NASA. This was a follow-up workshop to the one organized in OECD, Paris in October.
- A January 2014 report from IFRI on “Governing the Geostationary Orbit: Orbital Slots and Spectrum Use in an Era of Interference” features selected findings from the OECD Space Forum on interferences of satellite signals.
- The OECD Space Forum was invited to contribute a presentation on 3 December 2013 to a high level space conference in the presence of Members of the French Parliament, industry and other dignitaries. (“L'espace, des services quotidiens et des retombées méconnues”)