Collection/compilation agency: Ministry of Research, Science and Technology (MORST) and Statistics New Zealand (SNZ)
Collection/compilation type: Biotechnology firm survey.
Scope: Firms, government and university units engaged in modern biotechnology activities. The survey excludes all industries which use traditional forms of biotechnologies such as bread-, wine-, beer-making.
Frequency: First survey was carried out in 2000 for reference year 1998/99. Statistics New Zealand is currently in the process of running a Biotechnology Survey for the reference year 2003/2004 (post out in late August 2004), which will essentially be a repeat of a biotechnology survey last run in 1999.
- Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC four-digit level).
Definition used: The 2000 survey carried the following definition: Modern biotechnology is defined as: The application of scientific and engineering principles to the processing of material by biological agents and the processing of biological materials to improve the quality of life by isolating, modifying and synthesising the genetic instructions responsible for actual biological processes.
The 2004 survey uses the OECD definition of biotechnology.
- Standard tables, approximately 30 standard tables would be produced.
- Biotechnological statistics would also be released in Key Statistics, the Yearbook and various other publications produced by SNZ.
- Statistics New Zealand (2001), Modern Biotechnology Activity in New Zealand, April.
- Preliminary results of the 2004 survey -- released in April 2005 -- are available here.
Contact comments: In October 2003 Statistics New Zealand established a new work area (Business Performance Division) which is charged with producing statistics on the broad area of business performance, and in particular on areas such as:
- Research and Development
- Information and Communication Technology.
Future plans (plans for new collections, strategies, experiences etc.): A more comprehensive redevelopment, planned for the 2005/06 year, will incorporate work currently being undertaken by New Zealand Trade and Enterprises (NZTE) in developing a measurement framework for the Biotechnology sector.
Contact details: www.stats.govt.nz
Survey attached in annex