SIGMA › About
What is SIGMA?
SIGMA (Support for Improvement in Governance and Management) is a joint initiative of the European Union and the OECD. We have been working with countries on strengthening public governance systems and public administration capacities for over 20 years.
What does SIGMA do?
Our team of around 20 experts provides assistance in five key areas:
- Civil service and public administration organisation and functioning
- Public finance and audit
- Public procurement
- Policy making
- Strategy and reform.
How does SIGMA work?
- Governance systems and institutions
- Legal frameworks
- Reform strategies and action plans
- Progress in reform implementation.
Methodologies and tools to support reforms
- Recommendations on improving laws and administrative arrangements
- Advice on the design and implementation of reforms
- Opportunities to share good practice from a wide range of countries
- Policy papers and multi-country studies.
Who does SIGMA work with?
With the EC’s Directorate General Enlargement, we currently work with:
With the EC’s Directorate General Development and Cooperation – EuropeAid, we currently work with:
In these countries, we work with:
- Ministries at the centre of government
- State agencies and other public institutions
What are the main benefits of working with SIGMA?
- 20 years of experience working with countries in transition
- Experts from EU national public administrations
- Long-term relationships with in-country partners
- Practitioner-to-practitioner support
- Flexibility in project design and implementation
- A combination of EU and OECD expertise
- Support that complements other EU institution building instruments.
* This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/99 and the ICG Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
Take a look at our brochure: English I French