Thursday 19 April 2001
9.00 Welcome and Introduction
Pierre-Dominique Schmidt: Executive Director
Guido Maccari: Head of Information Technology and Network Services, Executive Directorate
9.30 Session 1 -- Defending Against External Security Threats
Session Leader: Mr. Tom Keane, Director, IT Division, Central Statistical Office, Ireland
- Review recent experiences with computer viruses and other malicious software.
- Review recent experiences with unauthorised intrusion and denial of service attacks.
- Can we identify a set of "best practice" defenses that our organisations should seek to implement?
- How can we best deal with security issues related to remote users (business travellers, teleworking, wireless access, etc.)?
- How can we best defend against unsolicited and unwelcome e-mail?
14.30 Session 2 -- Security of Information Flows Among Our Organisations
Session Leader: Dr. Otto Hellwig, Head of Division for IT Coordination, Bundeskanzleramt
- How much security is needed? Can there be "too much" security?
- Can we establish a basic set of management objectives regarding security of information flows among our organisations?
- What joint actions can we take to ensure security and reliability of these information flows?
- How do we obtain management buy-in and enlist user support?
Friday 20 April 2001
9.00 Session 3 -- Managing IT Security: Solutions for the Future - Part I
Session Leader: Dee Buck, Chief Technical Officer, World Bank
- What solutions are on the horizon from industry, academia and/or standards bodies?
- What is the scope for outsourcing external IT security?
14.00 Session 4 -- Managing IT Security: Solutions for the Future - Part II
Session Leader: Ian Hunter, Head of Network Information Services, EXD/ITN
- What are the emerging threats to security of information flows, and how can we best address them?
- How do we reconcile the "need for transparency" with the need to protect confidentiality and integrity of information resources ?
17.00 Workshop Summary and Conclusions