EDUIMHE08 › Abstract: "Education at a Glance": Highlights on Higher Education
Education at a Glance 2008
The indicators look at who participates in education, what is spent on it and how education systems operate and at the results achieved. The latter includes indicators on a wide range of outcomes, from comparisons of students’ performance in key subject areas to the impact of education on earnings and on adults’ chances of employment.
New material in this edition includes:
• A picture of entry rates in tertiary education by field of study
• Information on the skills of 15-year-olds in science
• An analysis of the socio-economic background of 15-year-olds and the role of their parents
• Data on the extent to which the socio-economic status of parents affects students' participation in higher education
• Data on the returns to education
• Information on the governance of higher education institutions
• An analysis of efficiency in the use of resources
• Data on the impact of evaluations and assessments within education systems
• A comparison of the loci of decision-making in education across countries
The ExcelTM spreadsheets used to create the tables and charts in this book are available via the StatLinks printed in this book. The tables and charts, as well as the complete OECD Online Education Database, are freely available via the OECD Education website at www.oecd.org/edu/eag2008.