What's the issue?
Today, cities demand almost two-thirds of global energy, produce up to 80% of greenhouse gas emissions and 50% of global waste. The circular economy can provide a policy response to cope with the above challenges, as a driver for economic growth, jobs and environmental quality.
Cities and regions have a key role to play as promoters, facilitators and enablers of circular economy. Adequate economic and governance conditions should be in place to unlock its potential.
What can the OECD offer?
The OECD Programme on the Economics and Governance of Circular Economy in Cities supports cities and regions in their transition towards a circular economy, through:
- Measuring: developing an indicator framework for decision making and evaluation of circular economy strategies
- Learning: engaging multi-level dialogues in cities and regions to identify challenges and opportunities
- Sharing: favouring peer-to-peer learning, best practice and lessons from international experience
SAVE THE DATE: 1st OECD Roundtable on Circular Economy in Cities and Regions
4 July 2019 | OECD HQ Paris
Download the flyer of the Circular Economy in Cities and Regions here
A conceptual framework for circular economy in cities and regions
GRONINGEN (The Netherlands)
For further information, please contact Oriana Romano - Coordinator – OECD Cities and Circular Economy Programme
Communications and Articles
- Circular cities: Designing urban systems within planetary boundaries, ICLEI World Congress, June 2018, Montreal, Canada
- Circular economy to transform city ecosystems, By&For European Conference on Smart, Sustainable and Resilient Cities, September 2018, Valladolid, Spain
- ‘The City as a Business Model’ Radboud University, October 2018, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- Circular & Smart Cities-Innovating Sustainability and Resource Efficiency in European Cities and Regions, European Week of Cities and Regions, October 2018, Brussels, Belgium
- Circular and sustainable cities, 4th International Forum of Cities for Happiness, Sustainable Development and Wellbeing, October 2018, Quillota, Chile
- Building a Sound-Material Cycle Society: Learnings from Japan, 2nd World Circular Economy Forum, October 2018, Yokohama, Japan
- Experts’ Workshop Urban Circular Bioeconomy at the EC DG RDT, November 2018, Brussels, Belgium
- Water and Circular Economy, 11th OECD Water Governance Initiative Meeting, November 2018, Zaragoza, Spain
- Accelerating the Shift Towards a Circular Economy, Smart City Expo World Congress, November 2018, Barcelona, Spain
- Water, Cities and Circular Economy, IX Foro de la Economía del Agua, November 2018, Barcelona, Spain
- Water and Circular Economy, 20th Carrefour des Gestions Locales de l’Eau, January 2019, Rennes, France
- Towards Circular Cities in Utilities, February, February 2019, Sofia, Bulgaria
- Circular Cities and Climate Mitigation, the EC Circular Economy Stakeholder Conference, Brussels, Belgium, March 2019
- Economía circular en ciudades desde una perspectiva global, X Foro de la Economía del Agua, March 2019, Granada, Spain
- Oportunidades para los servicios del agua en la economía circular, XXXV Congreso Asociación Española De Abastecimientos De Agua Y Saneamiento (AEAS), Marzo 2019, Valencia, Spain