LEED Programme (Local Economic and Employment Development)
Report : Developing Tourism Outside of Established Localities Ideas and Practices for a “Mission Possible”
The aim of this compendium is to show how the development of the tourism sector can support the local economy in primarily rural and marginal localities. There are opportunities in terms of local development which are often not fully exploited, even though they are extremely powerful. Tourism is generally considered to be a prime engine in achieving local development in all local contexts where there are valuable assets (cultural heritage, nature, historical cities, etc.). However, it is sometimes incorrectly considered to be a “panacea” for local development whereas it is in fact a sophisticated and, more importantly, a highly integrated development tool.
Table of contents
- DEVELOPPING TOURISM OUTSIDE ESTABLISHED LOCALITIES. IDEAS AND PRACTICES FOR A "MISSION POSSIBLE"
- the selected case studies and the themes of tourism development
- GOOD PRACTICE INITIATIVES IN THE MEDITERRANEAN REGION
- THEME 1. Integrated strategic vision for tourism and governance
- MOROCCO - Morocco vision 2020 for tourism development. "A territorial approach and focus on sustainability"
- JORDAN - Promoting local economic development and tourism in Jordan. "Pled Jordan"
- THEME 2. Product development
- LEBANON - A social network for sustainable tourism in Lebanon. "Tourtwist"
- TUNISIA - Hotel upgrading project (HUP) in Tunisia
- MOROCCO - Sustainability, ecosystem approach to tourism and carrying capacity of local context. "The Kasbah du Toubkal case"
- TURKEY - Tourism development in Eastern Anatolia region project (tdeap). "Pilot: Coruh Valley"
- JORDAN - USAID tourism project (USAID/Siyaha). "Madaba tourism case study"
- THEME 3. Brand and communication development
- SLOVENIA - A brand development story. "I feel Slovenia"
- ITALY - From a business-oriented destination to a leisure-oriented destination. "The case of the Province of Treviso"
- ITALY - The Apulia film commission foundation
- THEME 4. Network development and management
- ITALY - SOUTH EAST EUROPE - A decentralized cooperation project on tourism and local development. "Seenet"
- SPAIN - Defining multi-destinations in rural and mountain areas. "The Pyrenees"
For more information please contact Alessandra Proto.
Capacity building seminar: Developing tourism outside of established localities (Trento, Italy) - 3rd Edition