15-16 February 2010 - Amman, Jordan
On 15-16 February 2010, the meeting of the Working Group 1 on Investment Policies and Promotion was held in Amman, Jordan under the patronage of H.E. Minister of industry and Trade, Eng. Amer Hadidi, and in co-operation with the Jordan Investment Board. The meeting was jointly chaired by Jordan and Japan.
60 participants from the MENA region and OECD member States exchanged on regional investment frameworks, investment policy benchmarking and investment policy responses to the crisis.
Main outputs of the meeting and mandate for the continuing work of the Working Group include:
- Pursue analysis of ways to strengthen regional investment frameworks, in particular by expanding the stocktaking analysis on the evolution of international investment agreements in the MENA region and integrating examples from other regions, with contributions from WG members and regional institutions.
- Continue monitoring national and regional investment policies and promotion activities, in particular:
- Finalizing the report “Investment Reforms in the MENA Region: Country Progress 2006-2009” and pursuing analysis on the MENA countries’ investment policy responses to the crisis;
- Undertaking a joint learning exercise on investment policies and promotion using the BCDS tool.
- Pursue analysis on how to design effective economic zones, draft a regional handbook on economic zones development showcasing best practice examples and provide technical advice and assistance on economic zones’ development to requesting countries.
Agenda (English / French)
List of participants
Session 1: Investment policies beyond the crisis – IPA’s experiences in crisis and post-crisis investment attraction strategies
- Investment policy responses to the crisis : Impact of the crisis and responding investment policy measures
Mr. Alexander Böhmer, Head, MENA-OECD Investment Programme
- Promoting foreign direct investment in medium-size, low-budget cities in emerging markets
Mr. Joerg Simon, Senior Investment Advisor, Millennium Cities Initiative, the Earth Institute, Columbia University
- Crisis and post-crisis investment measures
Mr. Barry Condron, Director, Strategy Partners, Ireland
Session 2: Assessing investment policies and promotion through the BCDS tool
Session 3: Strengthening regional investment frameworks
Session 4 : Designing economic zones for effective investment promotion