EMPOWERING WOMEN TO BE EFFECTIVE POLICY MAKERS IN THE MENA REGION
- Women's ability to participate in and influence the decisions that affect their lives is both a basic human right and a prerequisite for responsive and equitable governance.
- A higher level of political instability exists in countries where women's participation in the public sphere is restricted.
- The regional average for women in legislative bodies in Arab countries is 17.9% - second lowest in the world.
THE DEAUVILLE PARTNERSHIP
The MENA Transition Fund project of the G7 Deauville partnership supports the efforts of Egypt, Jordan and Morocco to maximise women’s integration in public life and policy-making process.
HOW WILL IT ACHIEVE ITS GOALS?
- Making legislatures transparent, equitable and gender-sensitive.
- Empowering women parliamentarians and strengthen their capacity and skills.
- Improving public consultation capacity of parliaments and women’s civil society organisations in the law-making process.
- Regular regional policy dialogues are an integral part of the project.
- To make parliaments open, accountable and transparent through measures to promote greater gender awareness and increase civil society participation.
- Improve gender sensitivity of parliament.
- Secure women’s continued and equal access to parliament, by encouraging women candidates to run for election, changing electoral and campaigning laws and promoting gender equality legislation.
THE OECD GENDER RECOMMENDATION
The 2015 OECD Recommendation of the Council on Gender Equality in Public Life offers a whole-of-government policy arsenal that governments can use to close remaining gender gaps in public life, scale up inclusive approaches to policy making & public service delivery, and monitor continuous progress.
It was officially launched at the event 'Women's access to leadership: what works?' on International Women's Day, 2016.
- Breaking Barriers: Towards equality between women and men in politics, Cairo, Egypt, 19-20 November 2017
- Gender Balance Guide: Actions for UAE Organisations, UAE, 19 September 2017
- Capacity Building Training for Women (Arabic), Amman, Jordan, 19-20 May 2017
- Renforcement des capacités des femmes candidates aux élections nationales, Marrakech, Morocco, 2-4 September 2016
- Women in Parliaments Global Forum, Amman, Jordan, 4-6 May 2016
- Women in Public Life: Policies to Impact, Bahrain, 8-10 December 2015
- Launch of MENA Transition Fund Project, Rabat, Morocco, 30 September 2015
- Gender, Law and Public Policy, Amman, Jordan, 17-18 November 2014
2014- Women in Public Life
2010- Progress in Public Management