First meeting of the Focus Group 'Green Growth and Territorial Development'
Rabat, Morocco, 17 December 2010
The Focus Group aims to support governance institutions and increase regional policy dialogue and co-operation for the adoption of strategies for green growth and the sustainable management of natural resources at all levels of government.
The Focus Group facilitates regional dialogue and the sharing of good practices, including reinforcement of capacities at the local level for implementing territorial development policies and green growth strategies. The Focus Group builds on the expertise and know-how of the OECD Territorial Policy Development Committee and promotes regular policy dialogue and the implementation of Territorial Reviews in the MENA region. The Focus Group collaborates with the MENA-OECD Investment Programme regarding the mobilization of private investment for green growth strategies.
The first special meeting of the focus group was jointly organised by the Moroccan Ministry of Housing, Planning and Space Development, the Ministry of Public Sector Modernisation, and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
The objectives of this meeting were to:
- Share experiences between MENA and OECD countries in terms of linking territorial development strategies to green growth.
- Draw concrete proposals of the effective contribution of the focus group to address green growth and territorial development challenges.
- Discuss the Programme of Work of the Focus Group for the coming years, including the organization of a Regional Conference to be held in 2011.
This first meeting of the Focus group explored three main dimensions of green growth on the territorial level:
- Rural development opportunities through the renewable energy sector
- Urban development policies that can stimulate green jobs and economic growth (particularly in the transport and building sectors)
- Regional, multi-level governance and capacity building instruments for efficient water management and delivery
Session 1: Sharing experiences on territorial development strategies to promote green growth
- Mr. Sechang Ahn, Director of Green life and sustainable development team, Presidential Committee on Green Growth, Korea (English - pdf)
- Ms. Sabrina Lucatelli, Ministry of Economic Development, Department for Development and Cohesion Policies, Italy, seconded to European Commission, DG Regio C2 (English - pdf)
- Mr. Osama Megahed, General Director for Northern Upper Egypt Region at the General Organization for Physical Planning, Egypt (English and Arabic - pdf)
- Mr. Abdelfattah Skir, Secretary General, Municipality of the city of Rabat, Morocco (Arabic - pdf)
- Mr. Klaus U. Hachmeier, MENA Unit, Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology, Germany (English - pdf)
Session 2: Enhancing better public governance to ensure green territorial development
- Mr. Abdelouahed Fikrat, Director of Territorial Planning, Ministry of Housing, Urbanism and Territorial Planning, Morocco (French - pdf)
- Mr. Keith Thorpe, Head of Urban Policy Unit, Department for Communities and Local Government, Vice Chair of the OECD Working Party on Urban Areas, United Kingdom (English - pdf)
- Mr. Hassan Janabi, Ambassador of Iraq to FAO and UN Agencies (English - pdf)