Ninth Meeting of the Task Force on Energy and Infrastructure: Spurring growth of renewable energies in MENA through private-sector investment
21 May 2012, Paris, France
The MENA-OECD Task Force on Energy and Infrastructure was launched in 2010. Its work focuses on formulating policy recommendations to help spur investment in renewable energy in the MENA region, letting policy makers benefit from the private sector's view and experience. The Task Force produces opinion and working papers, and dialogues directly with policy makers through the working groups of the MENA-OECD Investment Programme, such as Working Group 1 on Investment Policy and Promotion. In December 2010 the Energy Task Force published its first paper: Spurring Investment in Renewable Energy in the Middle East and North Africa. Its second paper on Investment incentives and support mechanisms for renewable energy projects in the MENA region will be published in June 2012.
The Energy Task Force works to promote green growth, as mandated at the MENA-OECD Ministerial Conference and Business Forum in Marrakech in November 2009. As such it forms an integral part of the OECD's Green Growth Strategy, specifically applied to the Middle East and North Africa.
The ninth meeting of the Energy Task Force on 21 May 2012 will further explore financing options for renewable energy investments. The meeting will focus on risk management and investment protection options.
Key objectives of the meeting will be to:
• Select a renewable energy pilot project to analyse using the ISMED tools
• Sign-off by Task Force members of the final conclusions of the working paper, Investment incentives and support mechanisms for renewable energy projects in the MENA region
• Decide on the Task Force’s work programme for 2012 and 2013 and discuss ways to broaden outreach and co-operation with other institutions
• Explore risk management and investment protection options for renewable energy projects
• Decide on the participation of the Energy Task Force in the forthcoming World Energy Forum in Dubai in October 2012
• Elect a chairperson for 2012-13
EU aquis for Supporting Sustainable Energy Investments: Egypt Model for Energy Sector Reform
Ahmed El Beltagui (English)