Launch of the MENA-OECD Capital Markets Taskforce, Doha, Qatar, 6-7 December 2010
Doha, Qatar, 6-7 December 2010
The MENA-OECD Capital Markets Taskforce was launched on 6-7 December in Qatar at the Roundtable on Effective and Efficient Financial Regulation. The event was co-organised by the MENA-OECD Investment Programme, in co-operation with the Ministry of Business and Trade of Qatar and the Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Authority (“QFC Regulatory Authority”).
Discussions at the round table focused on:
- The impact of the crisis on MENA financial systems
- Effective and efficient financial regulation
- Institutional designs for financial regulation and supervision
- Financial reform in MENA and OECD economies
The round table was co-chaired by the Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Authority and the Securities and Exchange Commission of the United States. It brought together representatives from financial markets regulatory and supervisory institutions in MENA and OECD economies as wells as representatives from international financial institutions and experts.
- Presentation on the OECD Committee on Financial Markets Mr. Gian Paolo Ruggiero, Vice-Chair of the OECD Committee on Financial Markets and head of division at the Treasury Department of the Ministry of Economy and Finance.
The Global Financial Crisis and Systemic Risk: Experiences from MENA and OECD economies
- The Financial Crisis: financial origins, flaws and some remedies Mr. Gian Paolo Ruggiero, Vice-Chair of the OECD Committee on Financial Markets and head of division at the Treasury Department of the Ministry of Economy and Finance.
- Understanding the Dynamics of Systemic Risk Mr. Jean-François Lepetit, Member of the Board of Directors of the QFC Regulatory Authority and non-executive director of BNP Paribas.
- The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on the GCC Region: Lessons and Reform Priorities Mrs. May Khamis, International Monetary Fund.
Effective and Efficient Financial Regulation in the MENA Region
- The OECD Policy Framework for Effective and Efficient Financial Regulation Mr. Timothy Bishop, Senior Expert in Finance and Insurance, OECD, Directorate for Financial and Enterprise Affairs.
- Effective and Efficient Financial Regulation in the MENA Region Mr. Michael Ryan, Deputy CEO, Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Authority.
System Design and Implementation of Financial Regulation: Institutional Roles in Financial Stability
- System Design and Implementation of Financial Regulation in Iraq Mr. Abdul Razzak Al-Saadi, Chairman of the Iraqi Securities Commission.
- System Design and Implementation of Financial Regulation in Yemen Mr. Abbas Ahmad AlBasha, Head of Unit at the Securities Market Project Unit of the Ministry of Finance, Yemen.
- System Design and Implementation of Financial Regulation in Mexico Mr. Diego Borja Lascurain, Director of Financial Analysis at the Banking, Securities and Savings Unit of the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit, Mexico.
Financial Markets Reform: Issues, Progress and Challenges
- Financial Markets Reform: Financial Stability and Macro-prudential Supervision Mr. Ugur Çiplak, Banking and Financial Institutions Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey
- Principaux axes de développement et modernisation du marché financier en Algérie, Mr. Ismail Noureddine,Président de la COSOB
- Financial Reform in the United States, Mr. Sherman Boone, Assistant Director, Office of International Affairs, Securities and Exchange Commission, United States
Next Steps for the MENA-OECD Capital Markets Taskforce
For enquiries concerning this event, please contact Jorge Gálvez Méndez (email@example.com).
Press Coverage: English
Press Coverage: Arabic