Guidelines for multinational enterprises
OECD-ILO Conference on employment and industrial relations: Promoting responsible business conduct in a globalising economy
23-24 June 2008, OECD Conference Centre, Paris, France
Every year, ithe OECD holds a conference on corporate responsibility addressing emerging issues and new developments. This year’s conference was devoted to a high-level policy dialogue between governments, business, labour and other stakeholders around the theme “Employment and Industrial Relations: Promoting Responsible Business Conduct in a Globalising Economy”. It was jointly organised with the International Labour Organisation (ILO) under the auspices of the OECD Investment Committee and the Employment, Labour and Social Affairs Committee.
Discussions focused on:
- Enhancing the links between responsible business conduct practices and better employment conditions and industrial relations;
- Engaging OECD and non-member governments in experience sharing on the pros and cons of different public policies to promote responsible business conduct in the area of employment and industrial relations; and
- Joining forces between the OECD and the ILO to enhance awareness worldwide and performance of their corporate responsibility instruments (the OECD Guidelines and the ILO MNE Declaration) in this area.
- Opening remarks by Angel Gurría, OECD Secretary-General
- Opening remarks on behalf of Juan Somavía, ILO Director General
- Statement by Dr. Carlos A.Tomada, Minister of Labour, Employment and Social Security of Argentina [ English | Spanish ]
- Keynote speech by Mr. Karl-Josef Wasserhövel, State Secretary for Labour and Social Affairs, Germany [ English | German ]
- Points d'intervention du M. Gilles de Robien, Ambassadeur de la Cohésion sociale, France
- Points d'intervention du M. Vladimír Špidla, Commissaire européen à l’emploi, aux affaires sociales et à l’égalité des chances