Information technology (IT) continues to be a major driver of economic change, restructuring businesses, affecting skills and employment, and contributing significantly to growth and wealth creation. This volume describes:
- Main trends in industries and businesses supplying IT goods and services.
- The impact of IT diffusion, and the growing importance of network effects.
- Recent market dynamics and globalisation of the ICT sector.
- The rapidly growing and evolving software sector.
- Growth in electronic commerce and barriers to expansion.
- Developments and mismatches in supply and demand for ICT skills, and potential remedies.
- Diffusion of ICTs and the digital divide among individuals, households and businesses.
- Technological developments that will affect the commercial exploitation and impacts of ICTs.
- IT policies in OECD countries, with emphasis on ICT skills and overcoming the digital divide.
Click here to order from the OECD Online Bookshop.
Country IT Policy Profiles are available here.
OECD Information Technology Outlook 2004