Industry and globalisation
83rd Session of the Steel Committee, Paris, 28-29 September 2017
World economic outlook and steel market developments
World economic outlook
Presentation by the Secretariat of the Economics Department on the world economic situation and the latest OECD forecasts for the global economy.
Global steel markets: current situation and short-term outlook
- Presentation by the Secretariat on the current steel market situation.
- Presentation by the World Steel Association on the short-range outlook for steel demand.
- Statement by IndustriALL on the overview of labour developments in the steel industry.
Structural changes and long-term steel demand
Digitalisation and automation: impacts on the steel industry
- Presentation by the Secretariat of the Digital Economy Policy Division of the Directorate for Science, Technology and Innovation on the OECD horizontal project "Going Digital".
- Presentation by World Steel Association on the overview of the challenges and opportunities for the steel sector brought about by the "digital revolution".
- Presentation by POSCO Research Institute on the 4th Industrial Revolution and its impact on the future of the steel industry and steel demand.
Steel demand beyond 2030
- Presentation by Accenture on the main structural factors posited to impact long-term steel demand, and steel demand projections 20 years.
Update on recent developments in steelmaking capacity
- Presentation by the Secretariat on the interim update on capacity developments in the world steel industry.
Extent and implications of state ownership in the steel sector
- Presentation by the Secretariat on state enterrises in the steel sector.
- Presentation by Wiley Rein on the implications of state ownership in the financial, aluminium and steel sectors and its implications.
- Presentation by the Secretariat of the Directorate for Financial and Enterprise Affairs on a recent OECD publication on teh size and sectoral distribution of SOEs.
Subsidies and other forms of public support measures affecting steel markets
- Presentation by the Secretariat on a scoping paper proposing a way forward on developing an inventory of subsidies and other forms of government support measures in the steel sector.
- Presentation by the WTO on the disciplines in the SCM Agreement.
Recent developments in steel trade and trade policies
- Presentation by the Secretariat on the latest developments in trade and trade policies in the steel industry.
Regional steel market developments: reports by industry