Industry and globalisation
82nd Session of the Steel Committee, Paris, 23-24 March 2017
World economic outlook and steel market developments
World economic outlook
Presentation by the Secretariat of the Economics Department on the world economic situation and the latest OECD forecasts for the global economy.
Global steel markets
- Presentation by the Secretariat on the current steel market situation.
- Presentation by the World Steel Association on the short-range outlook for steel demand.
- Regional developments:
Steelmaking capacity developments
- Presentation by the Secretariat on the recent capacity developments in the world steel industry.
- Presentation by TUAC on examples of social dialogue in the context of structural adjustment in the steel sector.
Steelmaking raw material market and policy trends
- Presentation by Commodity Research Unit (CRU) on recent market and policy developments in key steelmaking raw material makets.
Steel and the environment
- Presentation by the Secretariat of the Economic Analysis and Statistic Division of the Directorate for Science, Technology and Innovation on ongoing work on CO2 emissions embodied in trade.
- Presentation by German Institute for Economic Research (DIW) on carbon pricing and the implications for energy intensive sectors such as steel.
Steel trade, trade policies and GVCs
- Presentation by the Secretariat on recent developments in steel trade and trade policy measures.
- Presentation by the Secretariat of the Economic Analysis and Statistics Division of the Directorate for Science, Technology and Innovation on trade in value added (TiVA) and steel.
- Presentation by the Secretariat on the first look at the steel industry in the context of global value chains.
Update on OECD work with relevance for the Steel Committee
- Presentation by the Secretariat of the Trade and Agriculture Directorate on its work to build transparency of support measures for fossil fuels.
- Presentation by the Secretariat of the Directorate for Financial Affairs on its work on state-owned enterprises.