Table of contents | How to obtain this publication | Further information
Urban and rural areas enjoy different and often complementary assets, and better integration between them is important for socio-economic performance. This report provides a framework to understand the changing relationships between urban and rural areas. It is focused on one approach that can enhance and better manage rural-urban relationships – the use of rural-urban partnerships.
Specifically, it documents the characteristics of these partnerships and the factors that can hinder as well as enable rural-urban co-operation. Different governance approaches to manage rural-urban relationships are identified and discussed.
Finally, recommendations are provided to help national, regional and local policy makers to build effective and sustainable rural-urban partnerships for better economic development.
- Executive summary
- Part I. Synthesis: Rural-Urban Partnerships - A tool for economic development
- Chapter 1 Understanding rural-urban partnerships: context and definition
- Chapter 2 Purposes and outcomes of rural-urban partnerships
- Chapter 3 Taking a functional region approach to rural-urban partnership
- Chapter 4 Understanding the dynamics of rural-urban partnership
- Chapter 5 Creating a governance framework for rural-urban partnership
- Chapter 6 A strategy to build effective rural-urban partnerships
- Part II. Case Studies
How to obtain this publication
Readers can access the full version of Rural-Urban Partnerships: An Integrated Approach to Economic Development by choosing from the following options:
For further information please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or browse related publications.
Rurban (Rural-Urban) Partnerships