In response to the ongoing economic crisis, Italy is undertaking a series of critically important reforms, combining pro-growth policies with severe austerity measures to achieve fiscal consolidation. The success of these structural reforms will rely heavily on the capacity of the government to restore trust in its ability and commitment to guide the country towards sustainable economic growth. At the time of this publication, however, less than a quarter of Italian citizens trusted the quality of government decision-making. Concerns over public integrity and corruption stand out as key elements underlying this prevailing lack of trust.
To restore the deficit of trust in the Italian government, the public sector needs to be embedded within a comprehensive integrity framework. Law 190 of November 6, 2012 (the Anti-Corruption Law) enshrines public sector integrity management and strengthens existing corruption prevention provisions through the designation of a new anti-corruption authority, a detailed framework for the adoption of a national anti-corruption plan, and new provisions regarding the conduct and prevention of conflict of interests in the public sector.
This OECD Integrity Review provides guidance on the implementation of key integrity and corruption prevention elements of the Law, most notably those concerning institutional coordination, the regulation of conduct and whistleblower protection, and management of integrity risks in public sector activities. The review concludes each chapter with proposals for action, with OECD member countries’ best practices in mind, with the ultimate goal of supporting Italy in its efforts to enhance integrity in the public sector and restore trust.
- Preface and Acknowledgements
- Executive summary
- Chapter 1. Restoring confidence in sustainable growth
- Chapter 2. Strengthening integrity in the Italian public sector
- Chapter 3. The new Anti-Corruption Law
- Chapter 4. Institutional co-ordination
- Chapter 5. Codes of conduct
- Chapter 6. Whistleblower protection
- Chapter 7. Integrity risk management
How to obtain this publication
Readers can access the full version of OECD Integrity Review of Italy choosing from the following options:
- Subscribers and readers can access the online edition via the iLibrary.
- Non-subscribers can purchase the PDF e-book and/or paper copy via our Online Bookshop.
- Order from you .
- Government officials with accounts () can go to the "Books" tab on OLIS.
- for accredited journalists.
For further information, please contact GOV.Contact@oecd.org.