- Osinergmin has gained a strong reputation as an autonomous and technically competent regulator since its creation in the late 1990s, overseeing sectors of strategic importance to Peru – energy and mining – in terms of economic development, investment attraction and export performance.
- A key challenge is for Osinergmin to strive for greater institutional maturity in a complex governance system. This would require establishing more formal co-ordination structures with both public and private actors involved in the regulated sectors, as well as continuing to invest in good practices such as stakeholder engagement and enforcement strategies.
- The report also identifies areas of improvement for what concerns the regulator’s internal governance, such as linking budgeting and planning activities more closely to forecasts needs and minimise risks, clarifying some internal functions and promoting accountability measures.
- OECD (2017), Creating a Culture of Independence: Practical Guidance against Undue Influence, Brochure
- OECD (2014), OECD Best Practice Principles for Regulatory Policy: The Governance of Regulators, OECD Publishing, Paris
- OECD (2014), OECD Framework for Regulatory Policy Evaluation, OECD Publishing, Paris
- OECD (2012), Recommendation of the Council on Regulatory Policy and Governance, OECD, Paris
- Network of Economic Regulators
- Governance of Regulators
For further information, please contact Anna Pietikainen.