The Recommendation looks to achieve gender equality in the public sector through three main channels, policy, as a role model for the private sector & through its own employment practices.
The goals of the Recommendation are to:
- mainstream gender equality in the design, development, implementation and evaluation of relevant public policies and budgets.
- strengthen accountability and oversight mechanisms for gender equality and mainstreaming initiatives across and within government bodies.
- achieve gender balanced representation in decision making positions in public life by encouraging greater participation of women in government at all levels, as well as in parliaments, judiciaries and other public institutions.
- take adequate measures to improve the gender equality in public employment.
- strengthen international co-operation through continuously sharing knowledge, lessons learned and good practices on gender equality and mainstreaming initiatives in public institutions.
8 March 2017- OECD Senior Policy Analyst, Tatyana Teplova presents the 2015 Recommendation to the EU Parliament for International Women's Day 2017
The Recommendation was launched at 'Women's access to leadership: what works?' on International Women's Day, 8 March 2016.