Below are the reports that were published on Mexico in 1999, 2004, 2012 and 2013 in the framework of the OECD Programme on Regulatory Reform. The 2011 report was published in the framework of the OECD Public Governance Reviews where Chapter 1 is devoted to regulation inside goverment in Mexico. The 2012 report on cadastres and public registries was published in the framework of co-operation with the Ministry of Social Development.
The 2013 report, OECD Reviews of Regulatory Reform: Mexico - Towards a Whole-of-government Perspective to Regulatory Improvement assesses the recent efforts of Mexico to develop and deepen regulatory policy and governance, both in the last few years, and over the period covered by the current government. It evaluates the policy cycle by which Mexican regulations —both at national and sub-national level— are designed, enforced, evaluated, and revised. It describes progress in the use of a range of regulatory management tools including consultation, regulatory impact assessment, and risk-based regulation. It also illustrates the potential of efforts to promote regulatory governance, including accountability and oversight of regulatory agencies, and devising a whole-of-government approach for regulatory design and enforcement.
Regulatory Policy and Governance in Mexico
The OECD established the programme Strengthening Economic Competition and Regulatory Improvement for Competitiveness with Mexico’s Ministry of the Economy. It aims at boosting productivity, promoting employment and higher output, and improving GDP growth. Taking advantage of its expertise and knowledge on best international practice, the OECD Secretariat is advising and collaborating with the Ministry of the Economy to improve competitiveness in Mexico. The programme, started in 2008, has been accompanied by several events:
- 26 September 2013, Launch event of the programme on regulatory improvement in the municipality of San Luis Potosi, Mexico
- 24-25 September 2013, Workshop on Competition Assessment in RIA, Mexico
- 23 September 2013, Measuring regulatory performance at the sub-national level: Benefits and challenges, Mexico
- 28 February 2012, launch of the United States-Mexico High-Level Regulatory Cooperation Council Work Plan
- January 2012, Annual OECD-Mexican Ministry of Economy Conference in “Regulatory Improvement and Competition as foundations for Competitiveness”
- 13 July 2011, workshop on New Ideas for Risk Based Regulation and Regulatory Governance in Mexico.
- 11-12 July 2011, Conference on Building an Effective and Transparent Public Sector in Latin America (see Programme in English, Spanish) Access pictures, audio, video, speeches
- 11 January 2011, presentation of the “Guide to Improve the Regulatory Quality of State and Municipal Formalities and Strengthen Mexico’s Competitiveness”.
- 6-7 May 2010, 25th National Conference for Competitiveness and Regulatory Reform
- 12-13 January 2010, Forum on Regulatory Reform
Results of the initiative
External links related to regulatory policy in Mexico