Our mission is to help governments at all levels design and implement strategic, evidence-based and innovative policies to strengthen public governance that respond effectively to diverse and disruptive economic, social and environmental challenges and that lead to stronger, fairer, cleaner economies and greater trust between citizens and governments.
To be the leading international source of policy solutions, data, expertise and good practices for governments and other stakeholders seeking to strengthen public policymaking in the face of unprecedented economic, social and fiscal pressures.
In the current context, this will involve:
(1) highlighting the crucial role of public sector economics and governance for economic and social well-being,
(2) promoting the strategic capacity of government,
(3) reviewing the role of the state and its choice of policy instruments,
(4) improving the efficiency and transparency of public service design and delivery, focusing in particular on innovation and citizen engagement, and
(5) fostering balanced, inclusive growth that maximizes the potential of cities and regions as drivers of national performance.
We support policy makers in both OECD members and non-member countries by providing:
Networks and Committees of experts from member countries help us identify good practice and also ensure that the work is disseminated widely across both OECD and non OECD countries.
We work with government representatives from the 34 OECD member countries and with more than 100 non-members. We also partner with regional and local authorities, the private sector, including the the Business and Industry Advisory Committee to the OECD (BIAC), civil society organizations (CSOs) and the Trade Union Advisory Committee (TUAC), as well as with other international organisations. Regional networks support dialogue in the Middle East and North Africa, Eastern Europe , Latin America and Asia.