Monday, 25 March 2013
Welcome by Chair, Mr. Geert Van Maanen, Secretary General, Ministry of Health, Netherlands
Appproval of the Agenda and presentation by Mr. Geert Van Maanen, Chair.
Session 1: Building and using forecasts of health expenditure in OECD countries
- OECD projections of public spending on health and long-term care
Presentation by Mrs. Christine de la Maisonneuve and Mr. Joaquim Oliveira-Martins, OECD Secretariat.
- The drivers of health care spending: implications for policy making
Background document : COM/DELSA/GOV(2013)1
Presentations by: Doctor Rodrigo Moreno-Serra, Imperial College, London; Mr. Dominique Tremblay, Chief Fiscal Policy Division, Economic and Fiscal Policy Branch of Department of Finance, Canada.
Session 2: How do countries budget for health?
- A perspective across OECD countries: Results from the Health Systems Characteristics Survey
Presentation by Ms. Camila Vammalle, OECD Secretariat.
- Establishing counter-cyclical financing and expenditure ceilings
Presentations by: Mr Ivar Sikk, Ministry of Finance, Estonia; Mr Tobias Orischnig, Federal Ministry of Finance, Austria.
Session 3: Budgetary management and short term control of health expenditure spending
- Using macro-budgetary targets to corral multiple institutions: has France found a new way of managing health expenditure? –
Background document: COM/DELSA/GOV(2013)2
Presentations by: Mr. Ankit Kumar & Mrs. Delphine Rouilleault, OECD Secretariat; Ms. Dominique POLTON, Head of Strategy at the Caisse Nationale d’Assurance Maladie des Travailleurs Salariés (CNAMTS), France.
- Using proactive fee setting to control health costs: the case of Japan
Presentation by Professor Naoki Ikegami, Japan - World Bank Partnership Program Challenges and Opportunities for Achieving Universal Coverage, and Keio University.
Session 4: Policy reforms to drive efficiency in health care spending
- Can competition be used to better control health spending? The Dutch Experience
Presentation by Mr. Patrick JEURISSEN, Netherlands Ministry of Health, Gils VAN DER VLUGT, Netherlands Ministry of Finance and Stefan THEWISSEN , University Leiden.
- Using pricing to increase hospital efficiency in a federal health care system: recent reforms in Australia
Presentation by Ms. Sue Vroombout, Australian Treasury.
Tuesday 26 March 2013
Session 5: Expenditure management tools
- Using information technologies to rationalise health expenditure
Remarks by Mr. Edwin Lau, OECD Secretariat.
Presentation by Ms. Susanne Duus, Danish Agency for Digitisation, Denmark.
- Using public procurement to reduce health costs: the case of pharmaceuticals in Mexico
Presentation by M. Janos Bertok, OECD Secretariat.
Session 6: Challenges today, and tomorrow: Fiscal consolidation and raising productivity
- Using health spending to achieve fiscal consolidation objectives
Presentations by: Mr. Tamas Evetovits, WHO Europe; Ms. Evdoxia Andranopoulou, ministry of Finance, Greece.
- Increasing productivity in National Health Systems: the case of England
Presentations by Ms. Anita Charlesworth, Nuffield Trust : The Funding Outolook for Health; Healthcare Productivity in the UK.
Session 7: Raising revenues for health
- The effects of ageing on the financing of social insurance systems
Background document COM/DELSA/GOV(2013)3
Presentation by Professor Chris Heady, University of Kent and Fellow at the Institute for Fiscal Studies, United Kingdom.
- Innovative ways to raise revenues: sin taxes
Presentation by Mrs. Analisa Belloni, OECD Secretariat.
Session 8: Discussion on activities and future directions of the Health-SBO Network
Presentation by Mr. Geert Van Maanen, Chair.