Design and Implementation Plan v Governance v Key Issues for Analysis
Country Participation v Outputs v Major Developments
The overall purpose is to explore how systems of evaluation and assessment can be used to improve the quality, equity and efficiency of school education. The Review has several key objectives:
- Synthesise research-based evidence on the impact of evaluation and assessment strategies and disseminate this knowledge among countries
- Identify innovative and successful policy initiatives and practices
- Facilitate exchanges of lessons and experiences among countries
- Identify policy options for policy makers to consider
Design and Implementation Plan for the Review
This document [English version / Version française ] describes the analytical framework and explains the process to complete the Review. It comprises: (i) Purposes, (ii) Scope, (iii) Key Issues and Questions for Analysis, and (iv) Process and Methodology.
Governance of the Review
The project is overseen by the Group of National Experts on Evaluation and Assessment, which was established as a subsidiary body of the OECD Education Policy Committee in order to guide the methods, timing and principles of the Review. All OECD Member countries and Observers to the Education Policy Committee may participate in the Group. The Business and Industry Advisory Committee to the OECD (BIAC) and the Trade Union Advisory Committee to the OECD (TUAC) are also invited to take part in all sessions of the Group.
Key Issues for Analysis
The overarching policy question is “How can assessment and evaluation policies work together more effectively to improve student outcomes in primary and secondary schools?” The Review further concentrates on five key issues for analysis:
- Designing a systemic framework for evaluation and assessment
- Ensuring the effectiveness of evaluation and assessment procedures
- Developing competencies for evaluation and for using feedback
- Making the best use of evaluation results
- Implementing evaluation and assessment policies
Twenty-six systems (25 countries) are preparing a Country Background Report: Australia, Austria, Belgium (Flemish Community), Belgium (French Community), Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Korea, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Sweden and the United Kingdom (Northern Ireland).
Fourteen countries also opted for a Country Review: Australia, Belgium (Flemish Community), Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Sweden and the United Kingdom (Northern Ireland).
The project will produce a number of outputs designed to assist policy making, including:
- A stock-take of current policies and practices in countries
- Reports presenting the results of the country reviews and proposing priority actions for improving the country’s evaluation and assessment framework
- Meetings of national experts to review progress and share experiences
- A final synthesis report that will draw out the key lessons for policy makers and policy options available to countries to improve the effectiveness of evaluation and assessment frameworks
- "Spotlight reports", customised summary of the findings of the comparative work that puts a specific country in the spotlight (for a limited number of countries)
- The first meeting of the Group of National Experts on Evaluation and Assessment was held on 1-2 October 2009 at the OECD Conference Centre in Paris. Countries agreed on the framework, scope and process for the Review and identified the major issues for investigation, and the Review was officially launched.
- The second meeting of the Group of National Experts on Evaluation and Assessment was held on 9-10 September 2010 at the OECD Conference Centre in Paris. Countries exchanged ideas about key issues in evaluation and assessment policy on the basis of analytical work developed by the Review and discussed the progress of the Review.
- The third meeting of the Group of National Experts on Evaluation and Assessment was held on 13-14 October 2011 at the OECD Conference Centre in Paris. Countries reviewed the extended outline for the preparation of the final synthesis report from the Review, which will be completed in 2012, and discussed the progress of the Review activities.
- The fourth meeting of the Group of National Experts on Evaluation and Assessment was held on 31 May – 1 June 2012 at the OECD Conference Centre in Paris. Following an update on developments in the countries and progress made with the Review activities, countries discussed the first draft of the Final Synthesis Report from the Review. The Secretariat presented the timeline and next steps for the completion of the Review, to conclude with the publication of the Final Synthesis Report in late 2012.
Back to Home Page for OECD Review on Evaluation and Assessment Frameworks for Improving School Outcomes