ASEAN-OECD Investment Programme
Launch of the Investment Policy Review of Myanmar
01/03/14 - Nay Pyi Taw
Myamar's Minister of National Planning and Economic Development, Dr. Kan Zaw officially launched the Myanmar Investment Policy Review on 1 March 2014.
The launch was followed by a detailed presentation of the findings at a conference on reponsible investment in Myanmar on 4 March 2014 in Yangon.
The ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations)-OECD Investment Programme fosters dialogue and experience sharing between OECD countries and Southeast Asian economies on issues relating to the business and investment climate.
The programme achieves its aims through regional policy dialogue, country investment policy reviews, and training seminars.
Regional dialogue on investment policy
Regional dialogue allows for experience sharing on investment policy design, implementation and harmonisation. It offers a platform for individual economies to disseminate the results of their investment policy reviews and contribute to the identification of best practices.
- Greater Mekong Subregion Investment Policy Forum, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, March 2012
- OECD-ADBI High-Level Roundtable on International Investment Policies in Asia, Melbourne, Australia, 2011
- ADBI-OECD Roundtable on Asia's Policy Framework for Investment, Tokyo, Japan, 2010
- OECD-ASEAN Investment Policy Conference, Jakarta, Indonesia, 2010
- 2nd OECD-Southeast Asia Regional Forum, Bangkok, Thailand, 2009
- 1st OECD-Southeast Asia Regional Forum, Jakarta, Indonesia, 2007
Investment policy reviews
Investment policy reviews are usually undertaken by governments looking to identify and implement investment policy reforms that will make their country a more attractive destination for investors. These reviews are undertaken jointly by the OECD and the government of the country concerned based on the Policy Framework for Investment (PFI).
The OECD and ASEAN work closely together to promote these reviews which help to stimulate sustained and deepened relations with Asia’s most important regional economic community:
Lao PDR (2014, forthcoming)
Philippines (2014, forthcoming)
Viet Nam (2009)
Any questions should be addressed to Mr. Stephen Thomsen
Tel: +33 1 45 24 83 68
Investment policy training
To complement country reviews and regional dialogue, the OECD conducts investment policy training seminars. These capacity-building seminars assist government officials in South East Asia to design, develop and implement sound investment policies. These seminars build on the PFI and OECD’s experience gained from the investment policy reviews undertaken in Southeast Asia, Central and South Asia, Africa and Latin America.
The first training seminar was held in Da Nang, Viet Nam in June 2013.
The topics typically covered by such seminars are:
- Principles and applications of the PFI
- Investment policy
- Options for regulating and protecting investment
- Investment promotion and facilitation
- Responsible business conduct
- Investment in infrastructure