Istanbul, Turkey - 1 February 2012
The OECD and the Turkish Capital Markets Board organised the meeting "Corporate Governance, Innovation and Value Creation". The meeting addressed the process of value creation within the corporations, the role of corporate governance arrangements in providing right incentives and financial instruments to contribute to this process, how differences in ownership structures may call for differences in corporate governance arrangements among listed companies.
Particular attention was given to corporate structures in emerging markets, focusing on how a more institutional and credible corporate governance can be developed in order to facilitate corporate access to capital without losing their entrepreneurial drive and flexibility.
The meeting was attended by over 100 participants from OECD and non-OECD countries. Senior speakers from governments, business and academia included Marcello Bianchi, Chair, OECD Corporate Governance Committee and Director at CONSOB, Italy; Vedat Akgiray, Chair of Capital Markets Board of Turkey and IOSCO Emerging Markets Committee; Maria-Helena Santana, Chair of Brazilian Securities Commission and IOSCO Technical Committee and Ranjit Singh, Managing Director of Malaysian Securities Commission.
- Entrepreneurship within Public Companies, Dr. Erik Vermeulen, Professor of Business Law & Finance, Tilburg University; Vice President at the Corporate Legal Department, Corporate and Financial Law Group, Philips International B.V.
- The Impact of an Emerging European Corporate Bond Market on Corporate Governance, Mr. Daniel Sachs, CEO, Proventus AB
- Regulating for Value Creation: Market Confidence and Contractual Freedom, Dr. Colin Mayer, Professor of Management Studies at the Saïd Business School, University of Oxford
- What Makes Controlling Ownership Different?, Prof. Dr. Karl Hofstetter, Group General Counsel and Member of the Board of Directors, Schindler Holding AG
- Long-Term or Short-Term Shareholdership: Does It Really Count?, Mr. Marco Langendoen, Counselor of Legislation, Company Law, Ministry of Security and Justice, the Netherlands
- The Emerging Market Perspective, Mr. Ranjit Singh, Managing Director, Securities Commission Malaysia