Biodiversity, water and natural resource management
Seminar on the assessment of ecosystem services and its use for public policies
1 February 2013, OECD Conference Centre
A one-day seminar was organised jointly by the OECD and the General Commission for Sustainable Development (Commissariat Général au Développement Durable - CGDD). The objective of the seminar was to examine the link between ecosystem assessments and the design and enforcement of public policies at national and local levels. It provided examples of success and failure of the use of valuation in public policy and use them as a base for discussion between country experts involved in the policy making and enforcement process. In addition to the general issue of ecosystem assessment, a particular focus was on valuation of watershed ecosystems.
WCMC was commissioned by the OECD to develop a background document on the role of national ecosystem assessments in policy making. Building on discussions at the seminar, the final paper is now available here.
- The role of national ecosystem assessments in influencing policy making, Claire Brown, Head of Ecosystem Assessment Programme, UNEP-WCMC
- The assessment of ecosystem services and its use for public policies, Helen Dunn, Senior Economic Advisor, Ecosystems Unit UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Lessons from the Portugal Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, Vânia Proença, IN+, Instituto Superior Técnico, Technical University of Lisbon
- The Spanish national ecosystem assessment, Marina García Llorente Social-Ecological Systems Lab, Ecology Dpt, Autonomous University of Madrid
- Taking account of biodiversity in infrastructure projects: the French approach, Christine Lagarenne, Commissariat général au Développement durable
- Integrated Assessment of Ecosystem Services in the Czech Republic, Jana Frelichová, Department of Human Dimensions of Global Change, CzechGlobe
- Integrating the replacement cost of biodiversity in the Distance-related Heavy Vehicle Fee (HVF) in Switzerland, Christina Hürzeler, Federal Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications DETEC, Federal Office for Spatial Development ARE
- Recent developments in the corporate application of ecosystem valuation and lessons for public policy, William Evison, Associate Director, Environmental Economics, PwC
Events on biodiversity
Economics and policies for biodiversity: OECD's response