Environment in emerging and transition economies
Water Reforms and National Policy Dialogues (NPDs) in Moldova
Year of NPD launch: 2006
Present NPD Chair(s) and strategic partners in the government: Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Health
Source of NPD funding: European Union, Government of Austria, Government of the Czech Republic, Government of Germany, Government of Switzerland, Government of the United Kingdom
The main areas of work and achievements are summarised on this page.
Priority areas of work and main activities
- Adoption and implementation of Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) and the principles of the EU water legislation.
- Setting and implementation of targets under the UNECE-WHO/Europe Protocol on Water and Health.
- Development of a strategic financial plan and a mid-term action plan for Water Supply and Sanitation (WSS).
- Development of a strategy to adapt Water Supply and Sanitation (WSS) to climate change.
- Establishment of a sound economic regulatory system and improving domestic financial support mechanisms for Water Supply and Sanitation (WSS).
National Policy Dialogues (NPDs)
The OECD and UNECE, as implementing partners of the EUWI, provided guidance through a series of meetings and stakeholder consultations and achieved the following results:
- The new water law was discussed in the context of NPD.
- A NPD-related Government Order was adopted on wastewater discharges from municipal sources.
- National targets under the Protocol on Water and Health were adopted.
- A National Financing Strategy for urban and rural Water Supply and Sanitation (WSS) was developed.
The information from the latest meetings is presented below:
|Name of the meeting
||Date and Place
|26th National Policy Dialogue
||15 June 2018, Chisinau
| 25th National Policy Dialogue
|| 11 April 2017, Chisinau
|24th National Policy Dialogue
||17 November 2016, Chisinau