Share

Health policies and data

Organisation of health care delivery

 

OECD Health System Characteristics Survey 2012

‌‌‌‌‌‌‌

The organisation of health care delivery is a key building block of health systems and varies greatly between countries. In many countries primary care services are provided in private solo or group practices. Outpatient specialist care on the other hand is frequently delivered in outpatient departments of hospitals or clinics. The legal status of hospitals owners differs also greatly between countries. Another important aspect to the organisation of health care delivery is related to the access to care and the treatment pathway. Many countries have a gate-keeping system in place that regulates access to secondary care. The HSC 2012 Survey gives an overview of the most important health care provider settings in OECD countries.

Gatekeeping system

 Table2-Gatekeeping-system

(1) In Ireland, registration with a GP is obligatory for patients who are covered by the “General Medical Services” scheme and hold a “Medical Card” which entitles them to all health services free at the point of use, and for patients outside of the GMS scheme who hold a "GP Visit Card" which entitles them to GP care without copayments (a total of around 40% of the population). For the remaining 60% of the population, who are subject to copayments, registration is not obligatory. 
Source: Questions 41 and 42, OECD Health System Characteristics Survey 2012 and Secretariat’s estimates. Information as of April 2013.

 

‌Access the data
Publications 

Back to the Health System Characteristics homepage

 

twitter logo social media‌ Follow us on Twitter @OECD_Social 

 

Related Documents