A Good Life in Old Age? | Help Wanted? | LTC Quality
LTC Data | Healthy Ageing | Disability | LTC Publications | Contact
Welcome to the OECD Long-Term Care (LTC) homepage. This page will provide you with all information on ongoing and past work on LTC - that is, care for people needing support in many facets of living over a prolonged period of time. The OECD Health Division examines challenges affecting LTC systems and services, focusing particularly on the elderly population.
||A Good Life in Old Age? Monitoring and Improving Quality in Long-Term Care
(released 17 June 2013)
Long-term care that is safe, effective, and responsive to needs – quality long-term care services – has received much attention and policy priority for governments as a growing number of frail old people are into need of care. A Good Life in Old Age? Monitoring and Improving Quality in Long-term Care offers evidence and examples of useful experiences from countries to help policy makers, providers and experts measure and improve the quality of long-term care services.
A Good Life in Old Age? Monitoring and Improving Quality in Long-term Care contains written contributions from OECD and experts and academics from countries across Europe, Canada, and the United States. The project was supported by the European Commission (DG Employment).
Health at a Glance 2011: Special Chapter on Long-Term Care
The sixth edition of Health at a Glance (released in November 2011) includes a special chapter on long-term care. Health at a Glance, a flagship OECD publication, provides the latest comparable data on different aspects of the performance of health systems in OECD countries.
Healthy Ageing Policies
A review of current policies to prevent the onset of old-age disability, or so-called “healthy ageing policies” was released in February 2009 as OECD Health Working Paper No. 42. This paper identifies four different groups of policies: i) working longer and promoting social integration; ii) improving lifestyles; iii) adapting health care systems to the needs of the elderly; and iv) attacking underlying social/environmental factors affecting healthy ageing.
The OECD published Health Working Paper No 26 in 2006, which assesses disability trends among elderly people (Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States).
Another study reviewed the implication of disability for individuals, the labour market and social policies. Disabling medical conditions are on the rise among people of working-age.
More information on a related project on mental health can be found at www.oecd.org/els/disability.
LTC-related publications at the OECD
Other relevant publications and articles
- Colombo, F. and J. Mercier (2011), “Help wanted! Balancing fair protection and financial sustainability in long-term care”, EuroHealth, Vol. Volume 17 Number 2–3, pp. 3-7, http://www2.lse.ac.uk/LSEHealthAndSocialCare/pdf/eurohealth/VOL17No2-3/Colombo_Mercier.pdf
- Tjadens, F. and Colombo, F. (2011), “Long-term care: valuing care providers”, EuroHealth, Vol. Volume 17 Number 2–3, pp. 13-18, http://www2.lse.ac.uk/LSEHealthAndSocialCare/pdf/eurohealth/VOL17No2-3/Tjadens_Colombo.pdf
- Colombo, F. and Mercier, J. (2011), “Financer les services liés à la dépendance dans les pays de l’OCDE”, in Les défis de l’accompagnement du grand âge, Rapport et Document, Premier Ministre, Centre Analyse Stratégique, http://www.strategie.gouv.fr/system/files/version3_rapp_dep_28juin_15h_0.pdf
- Colombo, F., Llena-Nozal, A., Mercier, J. and F. Tjadens (2011), « Come cambia la realtà internazionale: l’analisi dell’OCSE », in L’assistenza agli anziani non autosufficienti in ITA LIA, 3° Rapporto IRCCS-INRCA, pp 61-84, http://www.maggioli.it/rna/2011/pdf/rapporto2011-assistenza_anziani.pdf
- Colombo, F. and Mercier, J. (2012), “Help Wanted? Fair and Sustainable Financing of Long-Term Care Services”, Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Volume 34 Issue 2 Summer 2012, http://aepp.oxfordjournals.org/content/34/2/316.full.pdf+html?sid=31ca1923-0cc0-4b34-837c-54387bac314a
- Colombo, F (2011), “Typology of Public Coverage for Long-Term Care in OECD Countries”, Chapter 2, Financing long-term care in Europe - Institutions, markets and models, pp 17-40, London, Palgrave Macmillan”, http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?pid=406106
- Colombo, F., Mercier, J. and Llena-Nozal, A. (2011), “Nations Need New Financial Instruments for Rising Care Costs”, Bloomberg Brief - Economics European Edition, 15 November 2011, Bloomberg.
Ms. Francesca Colombo (tel: +33 1 45 24 93 60 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Permanent URL: http://www.oecd.org/health/longtermcare
Analytical Health Projects
Long-Term Care for Older People: OECD study (2001-2004)