Multimedia | OECD/PBS NewsHour | Articles | Award | Health brochure
Learn about the latest interviews, articles and media interventions from the OECD Health Division.
- Mark Pearson gave a presentation on "How evidence is used in policy making from an OECD perspective" at the Health Workforce Australia Conference in Adelaide (November 18-20, 2013).
- Franco Sassi attended a hearing at the Italian Senate, as part of an inquiry on the sustainability of the Italian health care system, run by the standing Committee on Health Care (December 5, 2013).
- Interventions from Valérie Paris during the Forum Economie Santé 2013, Paris, organised by Les Échos (November 19-20, 2013):
- Download the podcast: "Comment les pays développés font-ils évoluer leur système de santé face à une économie sinistrée?"
- Watch the video: Interview with Valérie Paris, health policy analyst at the OECD (in French)
PBS NewsHour and the OECD have teamed to launch an online series to explore how health care and health policy in OECD's 34 member countries compare with the United States. Articles dealing with obesity, older people, mental health and causes of mortality have been published so far, along with detailed data visualisations for some of them.
Articles from OECD Health Division colleagues
- The Dutch health care performance report: seven years of health care performance assessment in the Netherlands, van den Berg et al., Health Research Policy and Systems 2014 12:1. January 2014. Article co-authored by Niek S. Klazinga.
- Income-related inequalities and inequities in health care services utilisation in 18 selected OECD countries, The European Journal of Health Economics, December 2013. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013. Article authored by Marion Devaux.
- Les modes de rémunération des médecins dans des pays de l'OCDE, Les Tribunes de la santé 40, October 2013, Presses de Sciences Po. Article authored by Valérie Paris, Marion Devaux (in French).
- Resolving the challenges in the international comparison of health systems: The must do's and the trade-offs, Health Policy, Volume 112, Issue 1, September 2013. Article authored by Ian Forde, David Morgan, Niek S. Klazinga.
- International comparisons of health system performance among OECD countries: Opportunities and data privacy protection challenges, Health Policy, Volume 112, Issue 1, September 2013; issue on "Health System Performance Comparison: New Directions in Research and Policy". Article authored by Jillian Oderkirk, Elettra Ronchi, Niek S. Klazinga.
- The reform of the essential medicines system in China: a comprehensive approach to universal coverage, Journal of Global Health, June 2013 - Vol. 3 No. 1 - 010303. Article co-authored by Valérie Paris.
- Help Wanted? Fair and Sustainable Financing of Long-Term Care Services, Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Volume 34, Issue 2, Summer 2012. Article authored by Francesca Colombo and Jérôme Mercier.
Yuki Murakami received the “Symbols of Tomorrow” award in October 2013 from “Ashitano Shocho”, which gives recognition to the work of professionals and researchers in the area of medical care, health and life sciences in Japan. Seven people including her were selected for this year.
Ms Murakami received the award for her work in global health, in particular in the health financing area with the aim to support health system strengthening and universal coverage using the experience of OECD countries. The project has been financially supported by the Japanese government.
Recent collaboration has strengthened co-operation between OECD and Japan in the area of global health at the time of the 50th anniversary of Japan’s accession to the OECD and their recent commitment towards the promotion of universal health coverage.
This is the second annual award. The event was jointly hosted by the All Japan Hospital Association, Japan Hospital Association and Sanofi, and sponsored by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Education, and Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. The Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry (Minister Toshimitsu Motegi) and the Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications (Minister Yoshitaka Shindo) gave opening speeches at the ceremony.
- Read the Asahi Shimbun article (30 October 2013)
||Within the OECD, most of the work on health is carried out by the Health Division of the Directorate for Employment, Labour and Social Affairs.
Our mission – advising policy makers and informing public and private stakeholders and citizens on how to address demands for more and better quality health care – is particularly important with public budgets under strain. We develop reliable statistics of health system performance and help countries benchmark their policies against high-performing health systems.
To learn more about our areas of work, download our brochure.
Follow us on Twitter via @OECD_Social
Health Policies and Data