Table of contents | How to obtain this publication | Websites
Literacy for Life - Further Results from the Adult Literacy and Life Skills Survey
Literacy for Life is the second report from the Adult Literacy and Life Skills Survey. It presents additional results on the nature and magnitude of the literacy gaps faced by OECD countries and how these gaps have evolved over the medium term.
It offers new insights into the factors that influence the formation of adult skills in various settings – at home and at work – for the eleven countries participating in the first and last round of data collection between 2003 and 2008. The study offers comparative evidence on the impact of various factors on the supply of skill. The study offers a special focus on numeracy skills and problem solving skills. It explores the relationships between numeracy and key socio-demographic factors as well as labour market outcomes and earnings.
It highlights the importance of problem solving skills by defining this foundational skill and by exploring its determinants as well as its relative role in influencing important labour market outcomes.
The report offers also an analysis of performance across multiple skill domains. It investigates the skill profiles of various population groups defined in terms of the demographic and socioeconomic characteristics of those who score at levels deemed to be low in one or more skill domains and explores the resulting consequences.
The report concludes by investigating the issue of skill mismatch in the labour market and its relationship to adult learning. The extent and distribution of mismatch between the day-to-day literacy related requirements of workers and the literacy skills they have obtained is an important issue that is being explored in this study.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1. Antecedents and Objectives of the ALL Survey
- Chapter 2. Comparative Profiles of Adult Skills
- Chapter 3. Skills and Valued Economic and Social Outcomes
- Chapter 4. Adult Numeracy Skills
- Chapter 5. Adult Problem Solving Skills
- Chapter 6. Performance in Multiple Skill Domains
- Chapter 7. Skill Mismatch in the Labour Market and Adult Learning
- Annex A. A Construct-Centered Approach to Understanding What Was Measured in the Adult Literacy and Life Skills (ALL) Survey
- Annex B. Scale Estimation and Linking Methods
- Annex C. Adult Literacy and Life Skills Survey Methodology
- Annex D. Principal Participants in the Project
How to obtain this publication
Readers can access the full version of Literacy for Life - Further Results from the Adult Literacy and Life Skills Survey choosing from the following options: